Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
XW8600
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi - I have a memory configuration issue.

I have 6 identical 4 Gb memory modules  - I have tried loading them in the order shown in the diagram,

1 & 5 , 3 & 7 , 2 & 4 

This throws a 204 memory loaded incorrectly error message.

1 & 5 , 3 & 7 also throws the same error (above)

I can get 8 Gb from 1 & 5 only 

Whats going on ? - What am I doing wrong ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

yes to your question, just make sure the modules are R4 (Rank = 4) 5300 or faster

the risers and memory riser power cable do appear on ebay from time to time, they are the same for the 6600/8600 models

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/hp-xw8600-memory-riser-kit-n-444361-1787382615

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

check the module labels, make sure all modules have the same "Rank"  IE- R2 or R1 in the module part number

for 4 RDimms use slots 1/3/5/7     a six RDimm configuration is not allowed/supported

see the inside of the side cover for ram slot numbering

HP Recommended

So although it came with 128 Gb of ram only 8Gb was installed - Apologies I should have been clearer about this.

In the pile of ram that came with it there were 

2 x Kingston 4Gb 2RX4 PC2-5300F-555-11-E0 modules

6 x Hynix 4Gb 4Rx8 PC2-5300F-555-11 modules

12 assorted 8Gb modules - but no riser card so cannot use them.

The inside of the case shows a 6 module layout populating the first 5 slots and then slot 7, there is also an 8 slot option as well. 

I have got 16Gb now using slots 1,3,5 and 7 (black connector) leaving the white connectors (2,4,6 & 8 ?) empty, this is using 4 of the Hynix modules.

If I could get another matching 4 Hynix modules I assume I could populate all 8 slots for 32Gb ? 

HP Recommended

yes to your question, just make sure the modules are R4 (Rank = 4) 5300 or faster

the risers and memory riser power cable do appear on ebay from time to time, they are the same for the 6600/8600 models

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/hp-xw8600-memory-riser-kit-n-444361-1787382615

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.