Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z400
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

S16Gb_Ram.jpg

Will this Server RAM work ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

go back and REREAD the first 6 lines of "SDH'S post

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Edit To OP... that's a "no".

There is a post mainly related to the Z600 but has valuable info also for the Z400 HERE .

The Z600 v2 opened up more advanced memory use compared to the Z600 v1.  The same is not true for the Z400 v2 other than being able to use the faster memory to match the fastest Z400 v2 processors.  For the Z400 v1 or v2 it is supposed to be ECC unbuffered... not ECC buffered.  You show buffered and 16GB size.  Big amounts of memory want the optional passive memory cooling insert for the Z400 that guides front cool air over the memory and then up and out through the power supply.  I installed one of those in every Z400 upgrade we use.  Search eBay for 591213-001 and expect to pay about $25.00 USD, and be happy with that.  These are getting rare.

My recall is that I tried official Z600 v2 ECC buffered memory in a fastest-processor Z400 v2, and it did not work.  I've used Z620 v2 fastest (1800 MHz) ECC buffered memory in the Z600 v2 and it auto down-shifted perfectly and works fine matching the slower Z600 v2 fastest processor's speed.  That was memory used by HP, Dell, Lenovo, IBM in servers... from same OEM suppliers and same codes (once I figured out some of the codes did not matter, such as manufacturing site codes).

Take a look through the PDF links in the above linked post  HERE ... Those links still work and those hard to find documents are worth downloading for your future reference.  Note that when you look for Z400 in the earlier ones (still Z400 v2 era) HP always says ECC unbuffered.  For the Z600 v2 both ECC buffered and ECC unbuffered work.

The concept of Z400 v1 or v2 may be new to you.  Luckily for the Z400 it is easy to know the difference... The v1 has only 4 memory slots and the v2 has 6.  For the Z600 v2 you just look up the boot block date in BIOS and find the v1 versus v2 two dates by searching here in the forum.

HP Recommended

I am sorry. I did not find an answer. is it a yes or a no ? Does this help ?

CPU.JPGMain_Bd.JPG

HP Recommended

go back and REREAD the first 6 lines of "SDH'S post

HP Recommended

To OP:  Your two pics just got released by a moderator.  The use of a slower W3520 does not necessarily mean that your Z400 is a version 1.  Those processors can run in both the v1 and v2 Z400 workstations.  I'd suggest taking a look inside to see if you have the 6 memory slots... or checking in BIOS for your boot block date.  If you have a v2 then you could switch up to a X5690 processor which is all that we run in our Z400 v2 workstations.  Those are about 70.00 USD on eBay now, and would improve your Passmark performance score quite a bit, from 2756 up to 6901.  You'll be able to see the two scores when a moderator releases them.  That processor upgrade also lets the workstation run the fastest memory it ever can which also gives you a significant boost in overall performance:

W3520 Passmark.jpgX5690 Passmark.jpg

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.