Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z420 V1
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello.

When locating suitable memories for a Z420 Version 1 I found a HP spec for this workstation, that says only ECC Unbuffered memories would work. When lifting out one memory module in my machine, I foud it to be HP Original P/N 628974-081 which is a 16GB ECC Registered Dual Rank DIMM. The machine obviously works with no error beeps and boots W10 x64 w/o any problems...

I have not found that RDIMMs should be possible to use in a Z420 but then HP has not made it very clear about the two versions except that the Bios Boot Block differs in what versions of the 2011-processor (v1 / v2) that can be used.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.🙂

Second hand HP specified DDR memories are less expeceive than RDDDR so for upgrading it is obviously the logical choise.

(Greenpcgamers web-site is locked for visitors outside USA. I am in Scandinavia so it was not possible to access it.)

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

HP only recommends memory configurations they have tested/validated if you run a untested configuration you may run into problems and it's up to you to resolve them

basically if you can't afford to have your system down, or don't like playing with hardware/software then you should stick with the HP memory configurations

the v2 z420's can run some unsupported memory/cpu's you can search this forum for posts on this on of them references this site:

https://www.greenpcgamers.com/technology/hp-z420-gaming-computer-and-other-upgrades/

HP Recommended

I've got zero experience with the version 1 Z420 and Z620 boxes.  We only run version 2 Z420 and version 2 Z620 workstations.  We only run identical ECC buffered RAM I've posted about here in the past in both our version 2 Z420 and version 2 Z620 workstations.  This is retired server memory.  It is handy to  only keep a stock of one type of memory.  Works fine also in the Z600 version 2 workstations but not in the version 2 Z400 workstations.  The concept of "not supported" can mean that "it will not work" or that "we never tested that so we can't say it is supported".  This is a case where HP never tested so did not certify.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.🙂

Second hand HP specified DDR memories are less expeceive than RDDDR so for upgrading it is obviously the logical choise.

(Greenpcgamers web-site is locked for visitors outside USA. I am in Scandinavia so it was not possible to access it.)

HP Recommended

greenpcgamers does not lock their website,...... either your ISP or something on your system is the cause

HP Recommended

If I try to follow the link, I end up at "https://gdpr.uxinetworks.com" and a page that says

" Due to recent regulations we do not currently offer our products to European Customers".

HP Recommended

I can confirm that the greenpcgamers website is not accessible from the UK either;

greenpcgamers.JPG

I also tried with my VPN (PIA) switched off and set to a US hub, but still no luck.

HP Z620 - Liquid Cooled E5-1680v2 @4.7GHz / 64GB Hynix PC3-14900R 1866MHz / GTX1080Ti FE 11GB / Quadro P2000 5GB / Samsung 256GB PCIe M.2 256GB AHCI / Passmark 9.0 Rating = 7147 / CPU 17461 / 2D 1019 / 3D 14464 / Mem 3153 / Disk 15451 / Single Threaded 2551
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.