Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello, did a search on the board and did not see a direct answer.

I have a Z440 Workstation that has the e5-1630 V3 CPU and wondered whether the motherboard for that CPU would also support the same CPU in v4?   Or would a motherboard upgrade be required?

Please advise.

I know some of the Z440 don't require a motherboard upgrade to move from V3 to V4 for some CPUs, but don't know if that applies to all CPUs that the Z440 supports.

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have never seen any discussion about motherboard upgrades being necessary to run the latest HP apporoved processors for the Z440.  I'd advise that you first upgrade to the latest BIOS version before doing a processor upgrade... there is a section in HP workstation BIOS called the microcode and it is essentially a "white list" of approved processors.  An older microcode list can hold you back.  Those usually but not always have been released by HP with a full BIOS upgrade.  I have seen BIOS updates unlock access to successful processor upgrades.

Another thing.... search for Z440 QuickSpecs in PDF form.... the latest is version 35, and if you collect a series you can see the changes HP did over time.  Note that there is some value in looking at the fastest memory speeds that the processor supports, and then getting that memory so the two are matched.  Picking the best upgrade is an art in itself.  You might want to do a cost/Passmark score analysis, for example.  Used eBay processors also is a supply/demand marketplace.... there may be a situation where a large number of fast processors flood the market from server upgrades, and a much slower but rare processor actually goes for quite a bit more.  For example, the costly fastest processors for the xw4600 versus much better faster and cheaper processors for the Z400 or Z600.

Bambi here has taught us the value of using Passmark scores for the processors to get a handle on that.  He is a pro on this issue, and the fact is the choice of processors also should take into account what your main need for speed is.  Some will match that need better than others.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I have never seen any discussion about motherboard upgrades being necessary to run the latest HP apporoved processors for the Z440.  I'd advise that you first upgrade to the latest BIOS version before doing a processor upgrade... there is a section in HP workstation BIOS called the microcode and it is essentially a "white list" of approved processors.  An older microcode list can hold you back.  Those usually but not always have been released by HP with a full BIOS upgrade.  I have seen BIOS updates unlock access to successful processor upgrades.

Another thing.... search for Z440 QuickSpecs in PDF form.... the latest is version 35, and if you collect a series you can see the changes HP did over time.  Note that there is some value in looking at the fastest memory speeds that the processor supports, and then getting that memory so the two are matched.  Picking the best upgrade is an art in itself.  You might want to do a cost/Passmark score analysis, for example.  Used eBay processors also is a supply/demand marketplace.... there may be a situation where a large number of fast processors flood the market from server upgrades, and a much slower but rare processor actually goes for quite a bit more.  For example, the costly fastest processors for the xw4600 versus much better faster and cheaper processors for the Z400 or Z600.

Bambi here has taught us the value of using Passmark scores for the processors to get a handle on that.  He is a pro on this issue, and the fact is the choice of processors also should take into account what your main need for speed is.  Some will match that need better than others.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.