Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi to all! 

I have a very strange problem with my new m.2 ssd Western Digital WD Black NVMe SSD 500 GB (WDS500G2X0C). It must be compatible with my X99 mainboard, but I can't  use it due of RAW state. But I see it in BIOS boot menu ( as legacy) and in windows 10 in WD SSD Dashboard. 

What did I try: 

1. Use PCIE 3 slots, x16 and x8. I can't initialize the disk because of 928 fatal PCIE error (attached). Bit rate changing (from 8 to 5 and auto Gb/s) makes no effect. 

2. Use PCIE 2 x4 slot. I can initialize the disk as MBR (GPT choice makes 928 error as attached). When I try to format it by windows utility I receive windows error "can't finish format".

3. WD usb format utility makes no effect. 

4. I tried following to this forum post with 928 fatal error but without success. 

For windows 7 I had the same situation. 

I tried using different pcie adaptors but without success .

rsz_1img_20190328_101613.jpg

May be anyone has any idea what's wrong. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

in windows 10 go into "disk managment" select the SSD and initialize it and create a single GPT partition (which you havve tried)

the drive should now be seen within windows, however your malformed tlp error 2 indicates a problem with the SSD itself if no other pci-e devices in the slots give this error

as a last resort try removing any other pci-e cards (except for video) and see if the error persists when the ssd/pci-e card is inserted

HP Recommended

I had never seen this error before I've inserted m.2 ssd. 

And it's not a problem of the disk, because today I inserted it in another pc and had no problems with format. The process was successful. 

But for my computer situation is the same. Additionally, I obtain 928 error from slot 2 (pcie3x16) simultaniously with windows login screen. 

With disk in slot 1 (pcie2x1 in auto mode) I can login in windows, but the disk is unformatted, and I can't format it because of windows error. 

So I think it's a problem of win10 drivers, but I don't understand which of these is corrupted. 

HP Recommended

it's not a win 10 driver issue, you either have a defective pci-e card installed or a bad motherboard

last thing to try is to reset the bios back to factory defaults using the cmos reset (do not use the bios rest option)

HP Recommended

I've succesfully reseted BIOS by button, but the problem is here. Also I tried 2.46 bios. 

I can't choose the problem source, because my videocard works in every pcie3 slot. 

Disk and adaptor work normal in another computer. 

But together they generate a problem. 

How can I do a low level test of pcie slots? 

Maybe some drivers/os/bios components were installed uncorrectly? 

HP Recommended

I have excatly the same error when installing 2 nvme WD ssd in PCIe slots. I am on a Z840. Same Fatal error when trying to reconize it in the Windows Disk Management....

Another solution/idea ?

Thanks

Frédéric Brouard - MVP SQL Server - Senior database & SQL expert
HP Recommended

try another brand M.2 SSD if it works, either the SSD is not compatable or it's defective (try ssd in another system, if it still will not format it may be defective)

you can try a 3rd party formating util like DBAN and see if you can do a low level format/high level format

HP Recommended

Hi to all! 

Low level and high level formating tools didn't work... 

I haven't solve this problem yet, but I regularized it. 

I bought HP x360 440 G1 with m.2 slot and changed pre-installed Toshiba SSD to my WD drive. It was successful. Also I insert Toshiba SSD in Z440 with success. Of course, it is worse than WD one, but it's better than HDD. 

But problem with WD SSD in workstations Z series is open now. Maybe Samsung SSD is better for this. 

@DGroves wrote:

try another brand M.2 SSD if it works, either the SSD is not compatable or it's defective (try ssd in another system, if it still will not format it may be defective)

you can try a 3rd party formating util like DBAN and see if you can do a low level format/high level format

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.