Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z440
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello Community,

I have a Z440 workstation with a E5-1650 v4 CPU.

The clock of the E5-1650 v4 is 3.6GHz/4.0GHz

My multiplier never goes above 38x at 100% load but the full CPU Turbo Boost should be 40x.

The BIOS says Turbo Boost: Enabled

Who knows what can be wrong?

A bit history:

The workstation had original a E5-1620 v3.

I have done a complete clean install.

The system has 8x8GB DDR4 2400 RAM (original).

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

intel states that Max Turbo Frequency is a "up to" spec not a guaranteed number it depends on thermal and power limits

while i also agree that you "SHOULD" be able to reach 4.0 one  core that's not true for running all cores to 4.0Ghz

depending on the testing program used you either are not loading the cpu fully or you are loading it fully on all 4 cores and the thermal/power limits are being reached

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 

Intel® Turbo Boost Technology dynamically increases the processor's frequency as needed by taking advantage of thermal and power headroom to give you a burst of speed when you need it, and increased energy efficiency when you don’t.

Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 

Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 identifies the best performing core(s) on a processor and provides increased performance on those cores through increasing frequency as needed by taking advantage of power and thermal headroom.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.