Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z6 G4
Microsoft Windows 11

Hello,

Just purchased a Z6 G4. I popped in my existing NVME SSD and boots up just fine. It's only when I add my internal storage devices is when it is not recognized? They are not brand new hard drives. I am also running latest windows 11 and just updated to the latest bios. As far as I can tell the drives are working and powered via sata.

If I use a sata-usb enclosure the desktop recognizes it perfectly. TIA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I found a solution..

In bios I toggled the disable/enable button for sata and sata raid controller? Not sure what that does to be exact but after two restarts my desktop found the sata drives.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

the way most systems bios work for most modern systems the boot order is that the bios scans for SATA devices BEFORE looking for NVME devices such as M.2 based ssd's or PCI-e nvme cards

so when you add a sata drive to the system it appears before any nvme devices in the boot order

i would look at the boot order before/after you add the sata device, all you may have to do is move the nvme boot drive back up to the first boot device in the bios's found devices boot order

HP Recommended

For some reason I can't enter bios. I've tried two ways, via Windows and hotkeys and it's just blank. I did try removing the boot nvme drive and same problem. 

HP Recommended

I was able to see bios through HP Performance Advisor software. Boot order is #1 nvme and the secondary drive is no where to be found

HP Recommended

I found a solution..

In bios I toggled the disable/enable button for sata and sata raid controller? Not sure what that does to be exact but after two restarts my desktop found the sata drives.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.