Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z6
Linux

Hello,dear HP expert My Z6 workstation CPU is Intel® Xeon® Silver 4216,the motherboard could support two Xeon Sliver 4216,But i only install one Now I want to upgrade the CPU to Xeon W-3275.

My question 

Do I need to replace the motherboard ?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

the HP z6 is available with two different motherboards

the intel core i7, or the xeon

each motherboard is unique and can not accept processors from the other 

furthermore the Z6 is only available as a single socket "G4"   (the z8 is available as single or dual socket models)

HP does not list the w3275 as a officially supported processor (see quickspecs) this may be because the cpu was not available when the quickspec doc i linked to was created, HP does update the quickspecs so there may be a later one

the system should work with a w3275,  but may not

so unless you can return the cpu for a refund i advise you to stick with the models HP lists as supported

note that i did find one listing from a vender (ZWorkstations) that listed the w3275 as a available cpu on ebay

if you do want to try the w3275 make sure to have the latest bios installed first!!

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=c05527761

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05791619

HP Recommended

Your previous written - - the z8 is available as single or dual socket models

I am not sure if my understanding is correct - - You mean that Z8 motherboard could install Xeon W 3275 or Xeon Silver 4216,not need to replace the motherboard ?

HP Recommended

I thought i was quite clear when i stated the w3275 is not currently on the HP supported cpu list but one vender says he sells such a system with this cpu however i would only buy a cpu if the seller accepts returns as the site i saw may be wrong in regards to supporting this cpu model

this applies to both the z6 and z8 systems, go back and reread what i wrote

HP Recommended

Please check this website : https://zworkstations.com/products/hp-z6-workstation/

In the Xeon W Series page, the last one is "28 cores, 2.5 GHz base frequency | Intel Xeon W-3275"

Your written:

furthermore the Z6 is only available as a single socket "G4"   (the z8 is available as single or dual socket models).

I don't understand what you mean

Now if i assume that i upgrade w3275 to silver4216 in the Z8,do we need to replace the motherboard ?

HP Recommended

as i stated the quickspecs page i linked to may not be the latest/current one and you have now provided a link to a HP page that shows all current supported cpu's for the z6 G4 which includes the w3275 so why are you asking if this cpu is supported on the z6 workstation when you already know that it is?

HP Recommended

This focus is the motherboard,I am not sure for the Z6 and Z8,when we upgrade w3275 to silver 4216,do we need to replace to a new motherboard 

HP Recommended

AndyCai,

The Xeon W-3275 (LGA3647_ 28C @ 2.5 /4.4Ghz_ $4,449) is apparently available in Mac Pro and HP Z6 G4.

There are two HP Z6 G4 / Xeon W-3275 systems currently offered on Ebah/US:

HP Z6 G4 | Intel Xeon W-3275 28C 2.5GHz, 192GB RAM, 2TB NVMe, Quadro P600

HP Z6 G4 | Intel Xeon W-3275 28C 2.5GHz, 192GB RAM, 2TB NVMe, GeForce RTX Titan

These are being offered by the SI firm mentioned in the previous post.  However, the Xeon W-3275 is not listed on that firm's website.

And, as mentioned, the W-3275 is not listed in the HP.com sales listing for the Z6:

https://store.hp.com/us/en/ConfigureView?catalogId=10051&langId=-1&storeId=10151&urlLangId=&catEntry...

Consider contacting HP sales for a definitive answer.  The SI offering the Z6 / W-3275 systems may be making microcode modifications that are proprietary to that company and that could invalidate the HP warranty.

On Passmark Performance Test baselines, there is only one W-3275M  listed, used  in a Mac Pro, returning a CPU rating = 34638. The W-3275 has a Passmark Single Thread Mark =  2561.  For comparison, the average CPU rating for AMD Threadripper 3960X 24-core = 55446 and has a Single Thread Mark = 2,703.

To clarify because of the similar designation, the Xeon W-3175X _28-core does require a unique motherboard that only supports that single SKU.

BambiBoomZ

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.