Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Not sure about the 420, maybe different jumpers, the ones on the z820 are the only jumpers that are NOT detailed on the jumper list on the case.
HP Recommended

Hi, thank you for the reply. The thing is that on the z420 are not detailed either. For the z820 the designator E15 is called BIOS Crisis Recovery Header.

But on the z420 E15 is called ROM bootblock recovery header. I think you are right and the BIOS crisis header on the z420 is a different one.

I just cannot believe that I simply tried to update the BIOS with the HPQFlash ultility and it rendered the whole system unusable. The problem is that the z420 is not under warranty anymore. It was working perfectly fine right before I tried the update.

HP Recommended
I had the same issue, and HP wanted 800gbp for a new motherboard! Just lucky that a bit of fiddling sorted it for me.

There has to be a similar recovery on the 400 series, also play around with the USB port you use, it HAS to be one of the USB2 ports, not the TI USB3 ones.
HP Recommended

Hi I tried on all the USB ports but it doesn't recognize the USB stick.

This morning I had access to a different working z420 and I could see that:

The E15 designator jumper is placed on pins 2-3 for the z420 to boot normally, if I place the jumper on pins 1-2 it goes into recovery mode. If I remove the jumper completely it boots normally as if I had it on pins 2-3.

On my z420 the behabiour is completely different:

If I place the E15 jumper on pins 2-3 it tries to boot and then shuts down within 1 second on a bootloop repeatedly. On/Off contanly until I hard press the power button to shut it down completely.

If I place the jumper on pins 1-2 it switches on with no video output to the monitor and after 1 minute all the fans go into full speed.

Could It be hardware related? Some component has failed and is preventing the machine to boot up?

I am checking at moment, possible causes for On/Off repeatedly on a loop.

I am just baffled that something hardware wise could have been affected by a BIOS update.

HP Recommended
It might well be, in recovery mode does the red light at the back flash? If it does then could t the fast flashes, it loops so count them. That will tell you if there's a hardware failure, 8 is bios failed if memory is right.
HP Recommended

Hello and congratulations!

I have successfully upgraded a Z620 from BIOS 3.91 to BIOS 3.92!

Imagine my horror when I upgraded a Z820 from BIOS 3.91 to BIOS 3.92 and received the blue screen with stop:unsupported processor! The BIOS updates are different for the Z620 and the Z820, even though the result is 3.92!

Anguish and defeat for many days until I discovered this EUREKA!!!! possible solution!

Yes it helped me, but in the following manner!

I could not upgrade to 3.92 since even though during POST 3.92 was indicated, it failed to access the drives and the blue screen with stop: Unsupported processor appeared!

I was no further ahead, but I must try to reinstall BIOS 3.91 using the Ashleigh-Paul technique! Eureka, BIOS 3.91 reinstalled, access to all drives re-established and all Windows updates installed!

Now curiosity compelled me to retry BIOS3.91 to BIOS 3.92 upgrade! Foolish move, POST indicated BIOS 3.92, BUT BLUE SCREEN and STOP: UNSUPPORTED PROCESSOR! Now my conclusion is that the sp84162 containing BIOS 3.92 is corrupted!

Thanks to Ashleigh-Paul, I re-installed BIOS 3.91 and am sending you this from my restored Z820!

I too could not find any literature regarding the Crisis Jumper even though it is indicated in the Maintenance Manual!

Once again, well done and congratulations Ashleigh-Paul, and my HP Z820 agrees every time it powers up!

HP Recommended
No problems, glad I could help.
HP Recommended

Here's an update, and I probably have to go back through my crisis recovery jumper posts and correct a bunch of entries. This came as a result of reviewing things due to buying a version 2 Z620 motherboard months ago and today finding the eBay seller had sold me a bricked motherboard with the standard symptoms this morning.... no boot into BIOS, and fans taking a long time but finally going into full ramp up in speed.

Here's the added info: For some reason HP chose to have the Z440/Z640 jumper position on the crisis recovery header be on the rearward 2 of 3 pins as default but for the Z840 they have the default two shorted pins be frontward.  Wonderful. Thus, to recover the BIOS you need to do just the opposite thing on the Z840 as on the Z440/Z640. And, the same appears true with the Z820 versus the Z420/Z620. Here is from the ZX40 advisory, and there is no such advisory for the ZX20 family. I've added a bit for clarity, in caps:

The BIOS RECOVERY jumper will be on a 3 pin header where 2 of the 3 pins will be loaded (SHORTED) by the jumper. FOR NORMAL RUNNING CONDITIONS: a. On the Z840 load the jumper on the 2 pins towards the front of the chassis (THESE ARE PINS 1-2). b. On the Z440 and Z640 load the jumper on the 2 pins towards the rear of the chassis (THESE ARE PINS 2-3). WHEN YOU NEED TO ACTIVATE THE BIOS RECOVERY PROCESS ON THE Z840 SHORT PINS 2-3 WITH THE JUMPER DURING THE PROCESS. FOR THE Z420/Z620 SHORT PINS 1-2 INSTEAD TO ACTIVATE RECOVERY. WHEN RECOVERY IS DONE DON'T FORGET TO PUT THE JUMPER BACK INTO ITS NORMAL POSITION.

The advisory can be read here: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05163478

HP Recommended

Hello,

Thank you for posting in this thread. Unfortunately based on when the last response was made, I have closed this thread to help keep comments current and up to date. We recommend starting a new thread for your issue by clicking here.
To be more helpful with your post, you can add key information if you desire: 
1. Product Name and Number (please do not post Serial Number)
• Example: HP Pavilion DV2-1209AX or HP Deskjet 3000 Printer CH393A
2. Operating System installed (if applicable)
• Example: Windows XP, Windows Vista 32-bit, Windows 7 64-bit
3. Error message (if any)
• Example: ""Low disk space"" error in Windows
4. Any changes made to your system before the issue occurred
• Examples: Upgrading your Operating System or installing a new software; or installing new hardware like a printer, modem, or router.
If you have any other questions about posting in the community, please feel free to send me a private message!

Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.