Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended

BambiNoomZ

temperatures seem to be updating and reporting properly

when I leave the idle speed at its lowest setting and run a heavy workload that pushes processors to 100% the CPU will get to 80c before windows start to throttle the processor.

no combination of passive/active cooling settings in the power profile and the bios setting of runtime power management will make any difference in this.

I am forced to set the idle fan speed up to cover higher loads.   which is kinda noisy but keeps it in a safe temp zone, jsut not a good solution though. need it to work as it is supposed to.

liquid cooling isn't gonna fix an airflow problem lol.  need to find the root cause.

**{{ When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro! ]]**
HP Recommended

Totally agree with you. Must be a driver issue unless they indeed were poorly designed.

I am using liquid cooling. The issue with liquid cooling is the radiator cooling fan is compeletely relying on the fan chias which seems not responding to the cpu temp at all. The only available solution, like you suggested, is increate the idle fan speed to 4 or above, and deal with the noise....

Currently, I am using level 4, it seems to be able to control it under 75C. higher idle fan is too noisy to bear if in the same room.

I am supprised that HP is not responding to this issue, as I can see that this is not an isolated case. Seems to be a common problem.

Good luck to us and hopefully they will realize this issue and put someone on it to investigate.

Zhibo

HP Recommended

been playing with this all day. playing with the management engine and drivers, seeing if I can get it to work that way. so far no joy.  .... and also can't see the fans under SpeedFan software also, but probably jsut unknown addresses in smbus ... if some has that info please post.

maybe it is a bios version or management engine issue.

CAN PEOPLE POST WHAT BIOS VERSION AND MANAGEMENT ENGINE VERSION THERE USING IF IT WORKS, AND ALSO IF IT DOENST

I'll start

Automatic Fan control:  Not Working

Bios: J63 v3.94

ME:  enabled

ME  Firmware Version: 8.1.10.1286

HP Recommended

Hi all,

I’ve just purshased a refurbishef Z820 with dual liquid cooled E-2687w processors. I have’nt had the chance to load test it yet, but I’m very supprised how noisy it is. 

In BIOS (latent version) I’ve currently set Idle fan speed to the lowest value. While I’m i inside the BIOS the fans are pretty quiet, but as soon as the operating system starts to load the RPM of the fans increase and the sound is in my opinion quite disturbing. 

When running HP performance advisor, the CPU drops down to the minimum 1.1Ghz, but the fans are still noisy. 

I have a couple of Z620 at work and they are much more pleasant from the noise level perspective, since I can barely hear them under the desk. 

Has any of you any experience or input on this matter?

best regards

Niklas

HP Recommended

What i have found is the fans do increase in speed, if you let the bios control the fan speed but not over a wide range and remain relatively low rpm.  From reading other posts this seems to be part of the hp design to keep things quiet.

it would be nice if we could use a tool such as fan speed to control the z820 fans, however, the information on he PWM controllers is unknown.

what most have resorted to doing is increasing the idle fan speed in bios.

HP Recommended

Older versions of HWMonitor detected and displayed the fan speed information on these workstations correctly but more recently that has failed.  Go back to older versions and test.... jump back maybe 5 versions at a time and you'll see the fan speeds show up again.  This tells you that likely by accident they deleted the sensor detection needed for the HP fans to show up properly.  The older version links are there at the bottom of the download page.

I'd guess they'd appreciate user feedback and would put the correct sensor detection back in.  I like HWMonitor, and let us know which older version works so we can use that instead.

While you wait, try out the latest HP Performance Advisor software, which is being updated on a regular basis and also self updates now when you launch it, and which detects correctly (as you might expect).

HP Recommended

Thanks for the replies!

I tried the HP Performance Advisory program and it helped me during the testing phases. 

If you are interrested in my resultat you can read them in the following thread:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-PCs-Workstations-and-Point-of-Sale-Systems/HP-Z820-noise-leve...

Sorry for ”hi-jacking this thread”!

/Niklas

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.