Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
Z820 Workstation
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have a new HP Z820 Workstation which I have upgraded to Windows 10 Pro (version 1809).

The BIOS sees the CD/DVD-drive, but Windows doesn't and shows an "!"-symbol in the DeviceManager at "Other Devices > "SAS Controller".

Trying to update the driver doesn't work : "Windows was unable to install your SAS Controller".

It suggest to try it on the Windows Update, but that also doesn't show a new driver.

The hardware ID's of the SAS Controller are;

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D6B&SUBSYS_158B103C&REV_05
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D6B&SUBSYS_158B103C
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D6B&CC_010700
PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1D6B&CC_0107

How to solve this problem ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It seems I have solved it myself : I downloaded and installed the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise"-driver (4.3.0.1198 Rev.B   23.8 MB   Jul 30, 2015) from https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z820-workstation/5225041

While installing there is a message that a newer driver already has been installed, but I uninstalled that one and installed the downloaded one.

The CD/DVD-drive now works in Windows 10 Pro.

I just wonder what happens with a update from Windows ?

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

It seems I have solved it myself : I downloaded and installed the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Enterprise"-driver (4.3.0.1198 Rev.B   23.8 MB   Jul 30, 2015) from https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-z820-workstation/5225041

While installing there is a message that a newer driver already has been installed, but I uninstalled that one and installed the downloaded one.

The CD/DVD-drive now works in Windows 10 Pro.

I just wonder what happens with a update from Windows ?

HP Recommended

the 4 ports next to the two blue (or sometimes grey) sata 6GBps ports are the Intel "SCU" ports and are activated when the correct eRST (Enterprise) driver is installed. the eRST driver has specific chipset support for the chipset's used on the hp workstation motherboard that the consumer "RST" driver lacks.

also note the seven white LSI SAS/SATA ports are the ones that run along the edge of the motherboard

HP Recommended

Excuse me SAS controller error Is it solved?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.