Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
hp 8000 elite cmt
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)
What is the best graphics card I can use without upgrading the processor, motherboard, or any other parts in HP 8000 Convertible Minitower (CMT) /Core 2 Duo E7500 ( 2.93GHz )/ 4GB/ 160GB HDD
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello Drakens1991

Welcome and Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Forum

You can use the Graphics Card given below which are recommended by HP.

Nvidia GeForce 310 DP PCIe x16 Graphics Card
Nvidia Quadro NVS 290 Graphics Card
Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 Graphics Card
NVIDIA NVS 300 PCIe x16 512MB Graphics Card
NVIDIA NVS 300 PCIe x1 512MB Graphics Card
ATI Radeon HD 4550 Graphics Card*
ATI Radeon HD 4650 DP (1GB) PCIe x16 Graphics Card

You can see these details in quickspecs as well and the link for the quickspecs:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04287230.pdf?ver=1

****Click the Kudos Button on left to say Thanks****
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,
K B T 86
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

I am an HP employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hello Drakens1991

Welcome and Thank you for posting your query on HP Support Forum

You can use the Graphics Card given below which are recommended by HP.

Nvidia GeForce 310 DP PCIe x16 Graphics Card
Nvidia Quadro NVS 290 Graphics Card
Nvidia Quadro NVS 295 Graphics Card
NVIDIA NVS 300 PCIe x16 512MB Graphics Card
NVIDIA NVS 300 PCIe x1 512MB Graphics Card
ATI Radeon HD 4550 Graphics Card*
ATI Radeon HD 4650 DP (1GB) PCIe x16 Graphics Card

You can see these details in quickspecs as well and the link for the quickspecs:

http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/getpdf.aspx/c04287230.pdf?ver=1

****Click the Kudos Button on left to say Thanks****
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

Thank You,
K B T 86
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

This reply may be a little late for your graphic card upgrade party, but my experiences with upgrading Elite- and dc-series Convertable Midi Tower (CMT) Small Form Factor (SFF) desktops could be useful to other forum visiters as well. 

Non of these basic HP desktops allows a mid or high-end Graphic Card, unless you'll replace the original power supply with a beefier unit. A rule of thumb with regards to power issues: almost any card without a 6- or 8-pin power supply connector will do.

My preference for graphic cards for sytems up to the Elite 8000/8100/8200 would be an ATI Radeon HD4550/5450/6450/7450/r240 or similar. Most nVidia cards in this price range (GT-.10 to .45 series) do not match the performance of these AMD cards, unless you're willing to spend some money on a Quadro .10 series (410, 610).

Some folks have succesfully implemented nVidia GTX-650Ti/750Ti (and similar cards) in their Elite desktops, but if you choose to go this route you have to make sure the bios of these cards won't cause UEFI related conflicts with the bios of your system.

I have installed a AMD HD6450 in a old dc5800 SFF with 8gb Ram and e8400 processor and the performance of this little pc is quite amazing. I have done some CAD modelling (Solidworks 2016), Photoshop, played some older games at Full HD etc. without major performance lags.

My mother uses an Elite 8000 CMT with AMD HD 5450 and 8Gb RAM; which is almost overkill 😉

We're talking at decent computing on a very tight budget here. The dc5800 was $30, including the upgrade. The Elite 8000 was $45.

My advise for older Elite desktop owners would be to buy a decent (used) graphic card and put as much RAM in it as your system/wallet allows you to.

One last obvious performance booster would be an SSD. For older (SATA-2) HP desktops a (used) HP approved Intel SSD would give you optimal performance. The more recent systems that support SATA-3 will take any SSD without hassle.

The performance of Intel GPU's in more recent Elite Desktops (6300, 8300, 800 G1, G2 etc.) makes an upgrade to a dedicated Graphic Card less useful.

HP Recommended
I apologize for the late update but I had ordered a AMD Radeon HD 6450 1gb but when it showed up it was a AMD Radeon HD 7000 series still 1gb after a update via AMD catalyst it said it was a AMD Radeon HD 7470 but I upgraded to Windows 10 and it's a 7000 series but it's working like a dream so thanks for the advice
HP Recommended

No need to apologize Drakens 😉

My post was intended as follow up on the thread.

Nice to learn your AMD is working fine! 

For people who desire a high end Graphic Card in their Elite towers and who are not afraid of some tweaking and experimenting, this thread might be useful:

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/HP-Compaq-8000-Elite-power-suppl...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.