Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
xw9400

I need the pinouts for the various pin-header case connectors, particularly J24 but the other multi-pin ones too.

Tyan's manual for the S2915 board is for a different version than the poor-quality one they OEM'd to HP for the 9400, and HP's Tech Ref for the 9400 only supplies pinouts for the well-defined connectors whose pinouts can be found anywhere.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The xw9400 front panel connector J34 (there is no J24) pinout, looking at the motherboard, is:

xw9400_front_panel_conn_J34.PNG

There are 2 key (missing pin) positions on pins 10 and 15.  Use these empty pins to help identify the signals.

The pinout is very similar to other older HP Workstations.  Some hints: 

- Pins 1 and 3 are for the hard drive activity LED.

- Pins 2 and 4 are for the power LED.  HP systems have back-to-back LEDs connected across these pins.  A green LED is lit in normal operation and red is lit (and blinks error codes) when there are errors. 

- Connecting a momentary switch between pins 5 and 6 will turn the computer on and off.

- Connecting a momemtary switch between pins 7 and 8 will force a system reset.

- Pin 9 is labelled as +5V, but it is fed by a 100 ohm pullup resistor to +5V, so it will not supply a lot of current.  FYI.

- SPKR+ and SPKR- are for the internal speaker.

Most of the other xw9400 connectors follow industry standards, i.e., the IDE drive and floppy connectors. 

Is there anything else you want to know? 

I am an HP Employee.
My opinions are my own, and do not express those of HP.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

The xw9400 front panel connector J34 (there is no J24) pinout, looking at the motherboard, is:

xw9400_front_panel_conn_J34.PNG

There are 2 key (missing pin) positions on pins 10 and 15.  Use these empty pins to help identify the signals.

The pinout is very similar to other older HP Workstations.  Some hints: 

- Pins 1 and 3 are for the hard drive activity LED.

- Pins 2 and 4 are for the power LED.  HP systems have back-to-back LEDs connected across these pins.  A green LED is lit in normal operation and red is lit (and blinks error codes) when there are errors. 

- Connecting a momentary switch between pins 5 and 6 will turn the computer on and off.

- Connecting a momemtary switch between pins 7 and 8 will force a system reset.

- Pin 9 is labelled as +5V, but it is fed by a 100 ohm pullup resistor to +5V, so it will not supply a lot of current.  FYI.

- SPKR+ and SPKR- are for the internal speaker.

Most of the other xw9400 connectors follow industry standards, i.e., the IDE drive and floppy connectors. 

Is there anything else you want to know? 

I am an HP Employee.

Please click "Accept as Solution" if you problem was solved. This helps other forum readers.
HP Recommended

Yes, sorry, that was supposed to be J34 not 24, I just can't proofread any more, apparently.

If you wouldn't mind, I would appreciate the others, too:  

P23,  single row of 10, missing pin 7

J12,  dual rows of 7, missing 2 and 14

P24, dual rows of 5, missing 10

P26, single row of 5, missing 5 

Many thanks, especially for your addenda as well!

HP Recommended

P23 is the Front I/O Audio connector.  The pinout is below:

xw9400_P23_audio.PNG

HP = Headphone, SEN = Jack or device sense, MIC = Microphone, AGND = Ground, a separate ground for audio to reduce noise, FRONT_JS = Front Jack Sense.  There is a cable detect.

J12 is the Front I/O 1394 Firewire connector.  The pinout follows the Firewire standard, and is shown below:

xw9400_J12_1394.PNG

There are 2 data pairs, +12V power (be careful not to short the +12V power accidently), and a cable detect.

P24 is a dual Front I/O USB 2.0 connector.  It follows the USB 2.0 header standard pinout, with an added cable detect pin.

xw9400_P24_USB.PNG

P26 is a single USB 2.0 header.  It follows the USB 2.0 standard single port header pinout.

xw9400_P26_USB.PNG

Pin 5 is a missing pin, used as a key.

Note: 

- P23, J12, and P24 have cable detects.  If this pin is not connected to Ground, the system will stop during bootup and show errors that the audio, 1394, and USB cables are not installed.  Pressing F1 will cause the system to continue and boot normally.  If these cable detect pins are connected to Ground, the system will think the cables are installed and boot without showing errors.

- These diagrams were edited to give generic labels to signals, deleting any HP proprietary information.

I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

Many thanks!  That's going to be  extremely helpful. 

HP Recommended

So it appears the main system indicators and functions (HDD and PWR LED, PWR and RST), follow a relative industry standard, then divert to proprietary configuration?

This is the front panel header for the Tyan s2915, on which the xw9400 board is based.

Pins 1 - 8 appear to be the same layout.

s2915_FPH.png

HP Recommended

Has anyone been able to definitively discern the pin-outs for the fan headers either by testing or other means?

I have a rev AS# 408544-005 board, and have seen comments that the pin configuration changed across revisions, but have not seen discussion of that across the web.

Connectors would be:

P70 - CPU0

P71 - CPU1

P8   - Chassis Fan

P91 - Liquid Cooling Fan

P92 - PCI Fan

P93 - Memory Fan

As for JP30, the Fan Detection Override jumper, does that disable the CPU fan checks?

The technical manual does not elaborate on it's purpose.

Many thanks in advance.

*edit

I guess the big secret was JP30, system boots with no CPU Fan errors, and my PSU powered CPU fans with just a pin3 tach connection work just fine.

Now to address the errors:

Invalid Electronic Serial Number -Done-

918 - Front USB not connected (may buy a Front panel assembly and mount it into my Dell 1600SC case)

513 - Memory Fan not detected (will be looking for this item at a reasonable price)

514 - VRD Fan not detected (may use the chassis fan here and see if the temp sensor helps accelerate rear chassis fan speed ramping)

or not, and F1...

ps:

Seems to match the XW9400-

from Andy's Workshop

HP Z800

cpu_fan_pinout.png

HP Recommended

CraigWS, I will try to answer your pinout questions.  I have not personally worked on the xw9400 system at all, so I know very little about its operation.   So I might be wrong in my reply.  It is an AMD-based system, so some functions are not the same as the other xw or Z Workstations.  

- Does the CPU fan assembly have 2 fans or 1 fan?  If it has 2 fans, then P70 and P71 pin 5 are probably a second fan tach.  Or it might be a fan detect.  I am not sure. 

JP30 is a fan detect override.  Putting a jumper on this 2 pin header should override any missing or failed fail errors.  I am not sure it is works or even if it is still enabled (could be a prototype function only), but it does not sound like a good idea to disable it.  My $0.02. 

The pinouts are: 

P70 is a 5 pin header for CPU0.  P71 is a 5 pin header for CPU1.  The pinouts are identical: 
Pin 1:  GND
Pin 2:  +12V
Pin 3:  CPU fan tach (speed)
Pin 4:  PWM (to control fan speed)
Pin 5:  A second fan detect?  Does the xw9400 have 2 fans in the heatsink assembly?  

P8 is a pin header for chassis fan.  P91 is a 4 pin memory fan.  P92 is a 4 pin PCI front fan.  P93 is a 4 pin PCI rear fan.  the pinouts are identical:
Pin 1:  GND
Pin 2:  +12V
Pin 3:  Fan tach (speed)
Pin 4:  PWM (to control fan speed)

I am an HP Employee.

HP Recommended

Thank you Dan for your time and information,

I previously had the Tyan S2915 installed and started having bluescreens while using Lightroom.

Testing revealed random cause failure at about 70% CPU usage, so I wanted to try the HP xw9400 board, as it is based off the S2915, and the rev5 version with 4.03 bios supports the Quad core Shanghai chips I am using.

I compared the physical layout of the two boards for reference purposes, and the conclusions I have come to is that HP streamlined as well as likely rewrote the bios for the fan connector 4th pin and for sure the added 5th pin designations.

After my experimentation, pins 1-3 on all fan headers seem to follow industry standard, GND > 12v > Tach.

-P70 & P71

CPU0 & CPU1

I have read that the 5th pin does possibly contribute to a 2nd fan option.

From pictures of HP OEM heatsink and fan combinations, there is a wire jumper from pin 5 to pin 1.

Comments around the web are in general agreement this is what gives the bios feedback a fan is installed.

Neither a 2nd Fan or OEM Fan/Heatsink combo apply to my needs.

My situation involved using an aftermarket (ThermalTake) heatsink and fan powered by a PSU connection, with a 3pin connector having only the tach (Pin3) wire, with PWM managed by a separate thermal sensor attached to the heatsink(s).

I am relieved to report that JP30 works perfectly when jumpered, I have no CPU fan errors, and no (517 - Low Power CPU Heatsink(s) detected for High Power CPU(s)) errors with this heatsink/fan combo and the 2389 Quad-core 2.9GHz Shanghai CPUs I am using.

-P8 & P92

The rear chassis and PCI fan headers appear to retain the Tyan OEM configuration with the 4th pin as PWM control.

I had dynamic RPM results based on ambient case temperature.

-P91

The Liquid Cooling Fan seems to run at full speed.

In my instance, my fans' rated max RPM is 1500, it ran at 1560 with no indications of PWM.

-P93

The Memory Fan header ran the same fan at 1/3 less speed than the rated 1500 RPM, 1090-1110 RPM.

I opted for full speed and plugged the rear case fan into P91, then tested for 30 minutes with OCCT using all 8 cores at 100%.

NO bluescreens and CPU temps of 49c- 51c.

Excellent!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.