Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
z420 recycled
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

SO I got the front intake fan for the z420 and found an installation pdf but it was showing it without the cables in that area.  Does anyone know how to install it in the z420 or know a video that shows to get it in with those cables that go down in that area?s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600.jpg

Above The Firehouse
4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Tony_atfpodcast,

The HP Z220 SFF, Z220 CMT, Z420, Z620, and Z820 Workstation Series User Guide is very useful for this kind of information:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c04366460

On Page 19 is the z420 system board diagram:

z420 system board diagram.jpg

In the lower right corner of the diagram, notice component "26   Front fan".  Plug the connector from the front fan into that header and then the fan housing - when facing the proper direction- will clip into place, no tools needed.

BambiBoomZ

HP Recommended

Hi, connecting it to the mobo is not the issue, it's the installation of it with those cables in the way.

Above The Firehouse
HP Recommended

In the two pictures above the top one is oriented correctly and the bottom one is rotated 180 degrees from correct.  That protrusion that is upwards at the "top" on the upper picture is there to receive a case cover opening sensor that virtually never is used.  The 6 thin slots across the face in the top picture are to receive the rear edge of individual PCIe/PCI long cards or cards with adapters screwed on so when in place they are stabilized at both ends.  Also, very rare to see that function used.  The fan really is the reason for that being used.....

The wires you talk of really are not a problem when you actually do the project.  It is best to take off the plastic front face of the workstation so you can see the rectangular cutouts in the metal where the black plastic "tabs" built into the fan holder  will fit.  If you have the case laying on its side you orient the fan holder correctly (with that protrusion upwards) and simply gently slip the fan holder in and under that whole set of black cables going out to the motherboard.  If you feel the need you can gently detach those cables from the motherboard after taking some pics of where they go and tape them over the side of the case while you're doing the project.  Then back to same sockets when done.

It is pretty much a noob project, but if you are uncomfortable with that take it to a computer shop... it is a bit of a tight fit.

HP Recommended

I tried to get it in but I have XL hands but those wires don't bend easily hence why I asked. That is why I was looking for instructions or video to see it.

Above The Firehouse
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.