Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook x360 830 G5 Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just got this machine, it is mine, I am the sole owner and user. Mine.  I should have all administrative rights to the machine and it keeps denying me access to basic folders.

The machine has been very difficult to work with and clearly there is a great effort to hide basic MS Office programs including SCANPST.EXE. 

I cannot find SCANPST.EXE and all web based searches instructions fail.

Any help locating the program would be appreciated.

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@TGN-Wisc 

I am sorry you are having difficulty. 

Business class machines are indeed a bit different from consumer grade models.  Some of the administration is much easier and yet other tasks might initially seem to require a better (or more thorough) understanding of the working environment.   If the issues you are having are "general", the computer's User Guide can help.  Specific how-to and troubleshooting documents are available in the device Website Support categories (link to the device Website Support pages at the end of this post).

HP Documents are generally not intended to help with MIcrosoft Office, though there are occasional references to the Office software; for example, if there is a known issue, remedy, windows related environmental reason  to do so, an HP document would perhaps include that information.

Where is scanpst.exe?

Apparently, the location of this diagnostic repair tool varies according to the version of Outlook.

Outlook is part of some installations of Microsoft Office Software.

This article discusses the use and location of ScanPST:

Where Is Scanpst Located And How Does It Help?

Additional Information

There are lots of articles / posts on the 'net about scanpst - use your favorite search engine and search for more information and solutions that suit your situation.  For example, the article linked in this post was found using keyphrase "scanpst location".

If other avenues fails, consider asking about Outlook and scanpst.exe at the Microsoft forum.

Still need help?  Want more information?  Search for solutions...

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type

Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP EliteBook X360 830 G5 Notebook

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@TGN-Wisc 

I am sorry you are having difficulty. 

Business class machines are indeed a bit different from consumer grade models.  Some of the administration is much easier and yet other tasks might initially seem to require a better (or more thorough) understanding of the working environment.   If the issues you are having are "general", the computer's User Guide can help.  Specific how-to and troubleshooting documents are available in the device Website Support categories (link to the device Website Support pages at the end of this post).

HP Documents are generally not intended to help with MIcrosoft Office, though there are occasional references to the Office software; for example, if there is a known issue, remedy, windows related environmental reason  to do so, an HP document would perhaps include that information.

Where is scanpst.exe?

Apparently, the location of this diagnostic repair tool varies according to the version of Outlook.

Outlook is part of some installations of Microsoft Office Software.

This article discusses the use and location of ScanPST:

Where Is Scanpst Located And How Does It Help?

Additional Information

There are lots of articles / posts on the 'net about scanpst - use your favorite search engine and search for more information and solutions that suit your situation.  For example, the article linked in this post was found using keyphrase "scanpst location".

If other avenues fails, consider asking about Outlook and scanpst.exe at the Microsoft forum.

Still need help?  Want more information?  Search for solutions...

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Device

Device Homepage

NOTE:  Content depends on device type

Drivers / Software and BIOS, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals, Product Information, more

HP EliteBook X360 830 G5 Notebook

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

The best solution I found is:

Open Outlook

Open task manager

Select "Process" tab

Right mouse click on Outlook

Select Expand

Right mouse click on Microsoft Outlook

Select Open File Location

This is what appeared on my machine

C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\Microsoft.Office.Desktop.Outlook_16051.11727.20244.0_x86__8wekyb3d8bbwe\Office16

The technique works for most programs.

What a crap place to put program files.

HP Recommended

I found the Scanpst.exe file but it will not allow me to run ti.

All efforts to give myself access have failed.

This is a massive waste of time and effort - this is a productivity destroyer.  What the financial community calls "capital destruction".  

There has to be a better way for HP to inform their customer on how to do tasks they deny.

Any help would be appreciated.  

Tom

HP Recommended

@TGN-Wisc 

I think I understand that you cannot fix a corrupted Microsoft Outlook pst file.

Over the years, I have lost but one such PST database - it was painful and the recovery was only easier because I had thorough backups of much of the related data.  Still, not a great experience.

If you are using the Microsoft Software in a corporate (work) environment - or if you are an independent contractor, your company (or you) may have a contract with Microsoft to help support their products.   These contracts are meant to assist users of the software when that software is used in a business. 

Who owns what?

General Comments - Personal Opinion

Not all system owned folders and files provide free access to the user of the machine, even if that user is the "owner" of the computer.  Windows retains ownership and control over folders for which that control is necessary - the decision is made by Windows.   There are limited methods you can use to force your way past some of the security, though it is true that Windows is smarter than it used to be and the Operating System is better able to protect itself than in years past.  

As a matter of written policy, we do not (cannot) provide the means to breach the security on your computer.

As an entity who sold you the computer, HP does  not care who owns / controls the data on the computer except when its own folders and files are involved in the process.  For example, you have access to certain of the HP drivers executable packages that you download for the purpose of installing HP software.  After installation into the Windows File System, "you" do not own nor do you have full control over every folder and file in the installed software.  This is deliberate and it usually works as intended.

Microsoft Office (including Outlook), like Microsoft Windows, is written to provide what access is deemed required by the user of the computer to complete the tasks outlined in the software.  The brand of computer is not part of that process.

What about files to which I have "execute" access but do not "run" when double-clicked / invoked / run?

Some software is not "self-contained", that is, the particular program is run in a "container" program - a separate software that "calls" other programs.  This is common practice.  The actual means by which ownership, access, and containers are controlled, is more or less complex depending on the software.

Sometimes, even when a program is self-contained, that is, meant to be run as an individual executable (double-click on "somefile.exe"), the software may not run as expected. 

Reasons that programs do not execute might include (and are not limited to):

• Deliberate, due to the source of the software or the manner in which the data was / is installed on the computer.  This is typically controlled by the actual owner of the software, for example, Microsoft.
  • Missing parameters, actual errors in the setup / configuration / installation.
  • Corruption in the suite of controlling software or corruption in some "other" Windows program on which the executable depends.  (For example, Errors in the File System)

None of this helps you with your Microsoft Outlook, of course.

What to do?

The best place to learn more about Outlook - how it works, what it does, and how to manage the software - is likely Microsoft Office, the Microsoft forum, or by visiting related sites and reading articles dedicated to the subject (Outlook).

For example, here are a few of the many, many articles on the subject found with a quick search:

How to repair your Outlook personal folder file (.pst)

Using the Inbox Repair Tool (scanpst.exe)

Scanpst.exe can’t be found or started when Outlook is installed via the Microsoft Store

If I have anything substantive to add, I will edit this post.

Graciously withdrawing from the conversation at this time.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

This has been a time consuming process, but the below instructions worked.  Thanks, I realize this is outside the hardware side of the business and appreciate your efforts on my behalf.  

It turns out I had the Office via the MS Store and the access via Word workaround worked, but time consuming.  And, i am sure MS will shut this down with Office updates.  

A couple final questions about going to the "Optionally: Switch to an Office website (Click-to-Run) Installation." 

It appears I am paying for MS Office but SCANPST but it is no longer a part of the deal and i have to use an unauthorized method to get the program to run.  If I went to the "Click-to-Run" installation would I then have access to SCANPST where I could use a shortcut to run the program like older Windows 10 machines?  It appears this might relieve some pain and make SCANPST easier to run.

Secondly, is there any place that describes the differences between the "Click-to-Run" version of Office versus versus the "MS Store" version of Office and might identify other MS Office add-in tools which would not be available? 

Thanks again,

Tom

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.