Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP EliteBook 840 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

BiosConfigurationUtility Version: 4.0.21.1

HPQPSWD64.exe version :  1.1.27.1

Issue:

Generating a password which contains quote characters with silent mode of HPQPSWD64.exe doesn't generate correct password file which can be used by BiosConfigUtility64.exe

Generating a password file from HPQPSWD64 GUI works perfectly fine with BiosConfigUtility64. But the BiosConfigUtility command throws an error when the password file is generated with HPQPSWD64 command line.

If the BIOS password is --> password" ('password' followed by a double quote)

Command line tried before passing it to BiosConfigurationUtility:

HPQPSWD64.exe /s /p"password\"" /f"password.bin"

HPQPSWD64.exe /s /p"password""" /f"password.bin"

HPQPSWD64.exe /s /ppassword\" /f"password.bin"

Any of the generated files above when passed to BiosConfigurationUtility gives the following error:

<BIOSCONFIG Version="" Computername="MININT-SRDE79K" Date="2017/07/12" Time="11:33:59" UTC="-8">
<SUCCESS msg="Successfully read password from file" />
<ERROR msg="Unable to process command. Password is set, but password provided is invalid" />
<ERROR msg="BCU return value" real="10" translated="10" />
</BIOSCONFIG>

Does HPQPSWD64 expect us to escape quote chars in a different way? 

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The error is due to quotes not being allowed in bios password. 

I'm an HP Employee.The opinions expressed here are my personal opinions, not of HP. Click on Thumbs up if my post helped you.Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking an answer “Accept as Solution” if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

Greeting !

Welcome to HP Forums

The HP Bios config utility version used is slightly older

Use the latest version -4.0.24.1

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/caps-softpaq/cmit/HP_BCU.html

Also , make sure the encrypted .bin file is save in another location other than the BIOS config utility folder

Save it to desktop or any other location but make sure that when this command is used , the complete path of the location of the .bin is mentioned

I have given an example of command used locally

BIOSConfigUtility.exe /nspwdfile: C:/users/......./new password.bin

Regards

PT

I'm an HP employee
Please click the 'Thumbs up' button to say Thanks
Click 'Accept as Solution' ,if it solves your problem
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.