Level 2
9 7 1 0
Message 1 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

invoice product missing cont

Following up on a popular previous thread:
https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Commercial-PC-Software/Invoice-product-missing/td-p/7232061

It's been about 2 months since my initial basic questions have been ignored.

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if restoring the factory fresh backup will bring certain purchased software products with it.

More specifically, i chose the word "products" because I'd like to address both Office and Adobe products.

Even more specifically Adobe included both Photoshop and Premiere.  

After about 10 responses the help I have received includes:

• "On modern machines preloaded software are trial versions, try these"
  • "Are you sure you bought the thing on your invoice?"
  • "Ask Microsoft or Adobe how we build our machines"
  • "If you own the thing thats missing you will have an account with adobe/microsoft"
  • "System recovery should bring the notebook to original factory settings" (yes, that underlies the essence of my initial question), followed by an escalation to private messages.

After a month delay in response three suggestions:

• Ask microsoft, a general reminder that software bundles come with cd keys, and upgrading to windows 10 might delete stuff.

None of these solutions address my question; whether the software comes preloaded back in February 2012.

My MS Office products work great, but will "possibly" disappear if I upgrade to windows 10 or restore to factory.
The Adobe products are why I'm considering restoring, unless the license can otherwise be obtained.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15
23,168 22,950 1,973 7,262
Message 2 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

@BattleToad 

Consider that there are thousands (and thousands) of requests for help at the Community and you received several responses to your original question, you have not been ignored. I do understand you are not getting the answers you want.

So, what to do?

Products circa 2010 - for example  Premiere Elements 9  software, is not supported in Windows 10.

Consider that after this much time, you will have to purchase the Photoshop product you want on the system.

Even assuming that is not the case, then Adobe is the place to check - are they willing to give you credit for a ten year old installation of obsolete software?  Maybe.  In my personal experience, the Photoshop "upgrade" options - even for purchased and licensed Photoshop software, do have a time limit.

In particular, Windows Office products - MS Office Starter Package - are only supported up to Windows 7.

Even in the depths of time, if you had an actual license for an Office product and you installed that product, Microsoft likely has a record of that initialization. 

My opinion: Regardless of having installed the Office product - or not - I doubt you can convert an Office "starter" product to anything current. 

Consider:  You will most likely have to replace your "starter" Office software with a purchased product at your expense.

Reference

Getting started with Office Starter

Not an option to purchase Office?

Life is possible without Office

5 free open source alternatives to Microsoft Office

Why the frustration and the imprecise answers?

The reason you are not getting the answer that you seek is perhaps because 

"We don't know" 

and

"Whether the data is included depends on what the original invoice stated AND whether the software was specifically added to the Recovery CD for your product" . 

Edits -  remove awkward phrasing...

Comments / Personal Observations:

What is in your Recovery is simply not something our community can know for sure.  Stating anything else is guesswork.  For example:  If your computer came with an extra CD that includes software, you would be in a better position to know whether you have the particular software you seek - the basic recovery CD (even if you have such) would perhaps only the the image software of the OS.  What?  CD's have not been included with new products since 2005 - it would have necessary that you request a hard copy of the recovery set - that set might have included an "extra software" CD.   The Recovery image software on the computer may - or may not - have added / original extra software on it.  My guess is that it does not - my guess is worthless, of course.

and / or

"It doesn't matter - the original products are not going to work and will have to be replaced at your expense"

and / or

"You can try this yourself using full Recovery on your Windows Operating System version and find out"

In the case of the last option - which is likely the only way to know for certain - there is an important caveat:

There is every possibility that the Recovery won't work as expected.  Be real sure you have all your personal data backed up and stored somewhere OTHER than on the computer.  Use a backup method OTHER than depending on any backup the recovery process makes for you.

I am sorry if this answer, too, is less that what you hoped to receive.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Select the relevant post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Kind Regards,
Dragon-Fur
BattleToad
Level 2
9 7 1 0
Message 3 of 3
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

My goodness, thanks, DF! 

Overall, after nearly a decade, this machine still works pretty good.  Rarely a BSOD and handles many modern programs well. 

Just a shot at trying to recover some missing/never had software.  That '05 comment is somewhat encouraging.  It's too bad we gotta guess, I was kinda hoping this was a basic procedural inquiry.  Hope you have a fine rest of ur weekend.

@Dragon-Fur wrote:

What is in your Recovery is simply not something our community can know for sure.  Stating anything else is guesswork.  For example:  If your computer came with an extra CD that includes software, you would be in a better position to know whether you have the particular software you seek - the basic recovery CD (even if you have such) would perhaps only the the image software of the OS.  What?  CD's have not been included with new products since 2005 - you would have to had asked for the recovery CD set and it MIGHT have included an "extra software" CD.   The Recovery image software on the computer may - or may not - have added / original extra software on it.  My guess is that it does not - my guess is worthless, of course.

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation