Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
HP Recommended

Hello,

Has anyone noticed this, as of Apr 12, 2016, I am not able to login into the forums by supplying my username. I have to enter the email address. Anyone else facing the same problem?

Using Chrome browser v49.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hey @electronicsguy,

The Forums use an authentication system called HP Passport, which has not changed since we opened the forums in 2008. The default for logging in, is to use the email address you initially used to obtain an HP Passport.

Once you have a login for HP Passport, you can create a username here in the forums. The username here in the Forums and the HP Passport are not linked except for the fact that the Passport authenticates you when logging into the Forums.

You can change your username for HP Passport to match your forums username, (if it is available) but they are not linked for log on credentials.

My username in the forums is Bill_F

My user name for logging into HP Passport to access the forums is my email address.

If I wanted to change my log in for HP Passport to Bill_F I would

1. Log into Passport https://ovrd.external.hp.com/rd/sign-in
  2. Go to the section that says Change user ID
  3. Add a user ID. However, if my Friend Bill Fry had already done this and added the username Bill_F to his account, I could not use it.

So – you may log in with the same name as your forum name, but it is NOT the same between the forums and HP Passport.

Hope that helps.

Bill_F

Community Manager

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Hi,

picture attached. As you can see, the forum login expects either email address or user id. I cannot login using my user id. Is there something I'm missing here?

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 8.08.20 PM.png

HP Recommended

What error message are you receiving?

Silly question, but you're sure you are typing    electronicsguy    accurately?

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

Yes I am typing my user id correctly. I receive the error of incorrect user-id or password. picture attached.

Screen Shot 2016-04-12 at 8.49.18 PM.png

HP Recommended

The password field is empty...  Normally we see asterisks when a password has been entered.

WyreNut

-------------------------------------------------
Former Expert in the PalmOS, WebOS, and Android sections of this Community Forum.
I am a Volunteer here, not employed by HP.
HP Recommended

For heaven's sake, do you think I'm stupid ????  I entered the password, pressed this key called "ENTER" on something called a "KEYBOARD".... then I get the error as in the "PICTURE" attached, and the password field is automatically emptied out. 

Seriously, your attitude here seems to be dismissive as if we're stupid idiots who have never used a computer.

Here's a hint for you: the error message only appears when you put in your password and press the "ENTER" key (the one with a left-pointing arrow above the right shift on windows keyboards to make it clear to you). If the password field is empty, a different error message is displayed: "Please enter a value for this field.". 

Now if only you'd actually tried this before commenting like an arm-chair expert, you would know.

Anyways, I'd like an answer from a person who actually works for HP.

HP Recommended

Hi @electronicsguy,

I think HP PassPort has changed in the last years (@Bill_F correct me if I'm wrong) , as I registered in other HP forum (different language) in 2011 and I was able to chose a specific user ID. 

But when I registered in the English Forum (here) in 2014, when you insert your email in the email field it says "This will be your HP ID". So if you registered on 2016, you won't have a specific user ID - it'll be your email. 

And I understand that your user ID is not the same as your screen name. You only choose your screen name after generating a User ID based on your email.

My two cents..

Cheers,

BasicallyIDoWrk
HP Recommended

Exactly. This is what I'm trying to explain to them. There's something broken/inconsistent about their own user-id system.  If the "user-id" it expects is not the forum username but the "passport" one, why can't it be mentioned on the login website so it's clear?

HP Recommended

I wouldn't say it's broken. You'll never be able to login with your Screen Name ("electronicsguy") as your user ID - have you ever successfully logged in with your screen name as your user id? If you say Yes, than I'll be confused =S

When you're registering, it clearly states that your email address will be also your User ID - I also think this is more convenient to users, as you don't have to remember a specific user id.

But users that registered back in 2011 like me, can prefer to log in with their user ids created in the past. So the log in page will display both options - the old users can either login with user id or email, and new users will only login with their email.

hp_id.png

Cheers,

BasicallyIDoWrk
Archived This topic has been archived. Information and links in this thread may no longer be available or relevant. If you have a question create a new topic by clicking here and select the appropriate board.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.