Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet 1055CM
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Someone posted this same problem back in Dec. 2018. I have the exact same model plotter 1055CM (6075A) and I have the exact same problem, but the solution seems different.  I apologize for posting the same issue again, but the old post would not let me reply to it. 

Here is the verbiage from the original post:

"After replacing the belt and ink tube system, the plotter gets a "Check printhead path (1)" error during the initialization only if the right cover is on.  It goes through the beginning of the initialization and checks the service station during which the carriage traverses the width of the plotter.  Towards the end, it moves all the way to the left.  Just before it shuffles back and forth, there is a loud grinding sound and the error appears.  It looks like it is trying to drive the carriage further to the left but it is at the end of its travel so the belt slips.  With the cover off and the front panel connected, it completes the initialization every time.  Nothing is binding the carriage.  The rails have been cleaned and lubed"

In the original post, the problem was solved by replacing the 3rd party ink tube system with a factory ink tube system. 

The difference is that I am using the original ink tube system. My problem started just after replacing the carriage belt. I was able to boot up and run successfully with the right cover OFF, but when I installed the cover, I got the same grinding sound as above with the carriage in the far left position. I found that when I re-positioned the ribbon cable that goes to the display in the right cover, the problem stopped. I disconnected and re-seated the cable, put the cover back on, and now problem has now gone away. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

First thing to check is that the belt orienation is correct....and it is fitted at the right part of the belt..the belt has horizontal ribs one way an vertical ribs the other..easy to get this wrong.

HP Recommended

Update: the problem is back. Apparently, this is an intermittent problem making me think that the communication cable leading to the display was the culprit. When I re-assembled the plotter, everything worked fine for 2-3 boot-ups. Now, it's doing the grinding noise again. 

I checked the motor spindle when the grinding noise occurs. The motor is attempting to move the carriage further to the left, but the carriage is already in the left-most position. I have checked the belt, the trailing cable, the encoder strip, etc. Everything appears to be fine. (I have replaced several belts and have a good understanding of this process). Also, if I remove the right side cover, the plotter boots up just fine with no issues. 

HP Recommended

It sounds to me like you may be pinching a cable when you are putting the right cover back on which is also easy to do on those units.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.