Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Hp Designjet 7770 (500)
Microsoft Windows XP

Hi to all!

I 'm facing the following problem:

When trying to print from the pc or trying to do an internal print (like "troubleshooting" from the ink menu), at a random position, printing stops, the printer cuts the paper and doing a reprint. If STOP button not pressed, this will happen every time when the print starts. Sometimes only, I'm getting a 65:01 error code, which is probably unrelative.  

Tried to clean the printheads without any result.

I 'm open to any suggestions.

Thanks, anyone in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

I thnink your are speking of Product Number C7770x, where x can be A, B, C, D, E or F defining  is it designjet 500 or 500plus and is it 24 or 44 inch. Please be a bit more specific: Is it a plus or regular model (with or without HP-GL/2 card)?

Error code 65:01 actually means 65=Input/Output (like USB or JetDirect or communication between HP-GL card and MainPCA) Failure=01 => O-user, 1-reseat, reconnect, adjust...

So, check USB or LPT cable when everithing is powered off and printer disconnected from mains power supply. Do not connect  communcation cables when printer is turned on (this one is old technology, avoid risk of killing it, part are not available any more). Reseat and check JetDirect and/or HP-GL card (if you have them.

Intermittent break in printing can also occure due to: lack of grounding in power supply line, defective power supply in printer or in PC if connected using LPT or USB, high electrostatic accumulation (maybe trailing cables are over used) defects in MainPCA or HP-GL card (like defective memory- than complete board must be replaced).

I hope that you do not use it over power surge or small UPS because filters in such power protectors can also cause nosies that will affect rebooting of printer (speaking from personal experinece).

HP Recommended

Hi!

My plotter is the C7770A, 44inch.

I tried to print an internal pattern without result (like Troubleshooting Print from the Ink System menu of the front panel)

Printing stops at random position.

I remove all cables and any cards (HP-GL & Jetdirect). The machine was completely stand alone. And still, the problem was present!

I don't know if there is anything else to do. 

HP Recommended

This is an very old one.

Check out firmware, Latest one is A.04.02 if your version is lower than will be good to update.

Also, you will have to check if encoder strip is clear, state of the belt (happens simmilar problem if belt or encoder is generating skip-over diring carriage movement), chek out status of service station and ink-supply station. I hope you are not using refill inks with auto reset chip (this can be cause also) and at last you need to check paper drive encoder.

HP Recommended

20171129_145552.jpg

@JackB44 wrote:

This is an very old one.

Check out firmware, Latest one is A.04.02 if your version is lower than will be good to update.

Also, you will have to check if encoder strip is clear, state of the belt (happens simmilar problem if belt or encoder is generating skip-over diring carriage movement), chek out status of service station and ink-supply station. I hope you are not using refill inks with auto reset chip (this can be cause also) and at last you need to check paper drive encoder.

I don't know if there is a problem with the encoder strip. As you can see in the picture I took, at the right of the camera flash, you can see the strip with some "decolorization".  I think that I have to replace the strip fist.

HP Recommended

You are right, encoder strip looks very bad.

It's not hard to replace it. Just take care about neccesseary tension of it and to pass throug optical encoder inside of carriage.

Also, take some oil (good one is for guns if you do not have the HP original oil) put some oil on small piece of textile and clean/oil with it sliding rod.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.