Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
OfficeJetPro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is the 7740 supposed to auto detect the size of the paper in the paper tray?   I loaded 8 x 10 paper in tray 1, but even though I set this size in the preferences, this does not stick.   I had a previous issue that it did not detect tabloid in tray 2 and I had to go to the printer screen and manually select tabloid for tray 2 before it would print.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@WWolfe01 

I can offer the following disjointed and partial information on the subject...

The Printer Specifications,  the Datasheet, and even the User Guide are a bit vague on the subject of what the printer "detects" beyond saying that only plain paper is allowed in Tray 2 (and would therefore presumably detect and reject other types of Media in this tray).

Paper Size 8x10 is allowed as a Custom Paper Size form.

HP Document:

HP Printers - Creating Custom Paper Sizes

Things to Try / Consider 

If necessary, Create the custom paper size form

1. Availability depends on printer model and software and Operating System / Version.
  2. If the feature is at least partially supported the Custom Setup will be available in Devices and Printers OR in Printer Preferences.
  3. If the feature is fully supported, the custom form can be created AND then used with the printer software.

• Devices and Printers > Print Server Properties

OR

• Printer Preferences > Print Dialog > Paper / Quality > Custom setting box

Example 1

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Left-Click on your Printer one time to highlight >

Left-Click Print Server Properties (along the top ribbon)

Note

If you can do so, create your custom form from an existing form of the same Media (kind of paper) type.

Custom_Form_Index_Card_6x8Custom_Form_Index_Card_6x8

Example 2 -

Newer software - Example shows Officejet Pro 8740 Custom Form setup as completed in Printing Preferences

Control Panel > icon view > Devices and Printers >

Right-Click on your Printer > If necessary, select printer from drop down menu / list

Printing Preferences > tab Paper/Quality > Custom

Printing_Preferences_Quality-Paper_Custom_1Printing_Preferences_Quality-Paper_Custom_1

Depending on Printer Model / Software, changing the paper in the tray may require that the paper settings be adjusted on the printer control panel.

• Open Tray > Remove existing paper, load new Paper > Check printer control panel: “Modify” > select Paper Size or “Custom” > OK

If necessary, Create a Custom shortcut for the new paper size

Print_Preferences_Template_1Print_Preferences_Template_1

Leave the Custom shortcut as the selection (highlighted option) in your Printing Preferences.

Remove "other" paper from Tray 1

Insert stack of 8x10 paper in Tray 1, and if applicable for the Media type, print-side-down

NOTE

If the printer control screen does not ask that you "Modify" or change the paper type / size,

Try one of the following (location of settings depends on printer / software)

Method 1

Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar

Tab Settings > Preferences > Paper Settings

Set Tray 1 paper size to 8x10 if you can find it, else select "Custom"

Example 1 - Officejet Pro 8630 EWS > Settings > Preferences > Paper Settings > Tray 1=Custom

EWS_8630_Settings_Preferences_Paper-Settings_Custom_1EWS_8630_Settings_Preferences_Paper-Settings_Custom_1

OR

Example 2 - Officejet Pro 8740 EWS > Settings > Preferences > Paper and Tray Management

HP_8740_Preferences_Tray_and_Paper_Management_1HP_8740_Preferences_Tray_and_Paper_Management_1

Reference and Resources – Places to find (more) help and learn about your Printer

Printer Homepage – “Things that are your printer”

Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, Videos, Bulletins/Notices, How-to, Troubleshooting, User Guides, Product Information, more

HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer series

How to > topic Print > subject list Instructions & Settings

Print Driver Settings Guide (Windows)

How to Print Photos (Windows)

Thank you for participating in the HP Community Forum.

We are a world community of HP enthusiasts dedicated to supporting HP technology.

Click Thumbs Up on a post to say Thank You!

Answered? Click post "Accept as Solution" to help others find it.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I think the problem is more fundamental than paper size.  I set via the web service the auto power down to activate after 4 hours.  That does not work.  I went to the HP Printer Assistant to make a new printing shortcut.  I saved with a new name, but when I open Set Preferences again it was not saved.  

Don't know how forms are used, but there is a form for 8 x 10 paper.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.