Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet T1100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been getting the 21:13 error. When booting up the carriage assembly misalignes itself with the service station. So when it wants to clean the printheads, the service station is blokked and gives the error.

IMG_20211005_142723.jpg

Service station has been cleaned and is functioning normaly, encoder strip and carriage belt look clean and undamaged.

Any ideas as to what could cause this? 

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Cautious....  when the carriage was above the service station & both in locked position... can not manually move

the carriage box to left..... you can do it by turn off power....   use T10 screw driver & insert it onto the hold behid

service station...     turn  left  few times, till carriage box free.

if belt & carriage box installed & working properly & should not give problem to the service station, unless service station had problem itself.

For reference only...

HP Recommended

Did you have any of the pritner disassembled before this error started occuring?

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

No, we did have it moved to a different officebuilding in july but it was working perfectly untill two weeks ago. Since the error started I have taken out and cleaned the service station, this seems to be working fine. 

If the carriage assembly is on the right side when starting up, then it moves a little to the left as in the picture above. There it stops and blocks the service station from working properly until it gives an error. When I move the carriage to the left and start up the plotter it tries to go left and right but eventually stays in place and gives a paper jam error (86:01).  I see no objects hindering the movement and i can move the carriage freely from left to right. 

Could it be a bad motor? Or too much friction for the carriage to move?

HP Recommended

I would suspect the encoder strip has been somehow damaged.  Unlikely the motor or excess friction would cause this, especially if you can move the carriage manually from right to left with no hard stops.  That eliminates the possibility of a mechanical problem with the carriage.  The encoder has tiny marks on it and if they are damaged it will cause this error.  Does the carriage come to a hard stop with a noise when it stops?  (Like it's colliding with something?)  Or is it a soft stop?  If it's a soft stop I would replace the encoder strip first before turning to other solutions.  You could try cleaning it first but only use water and maybe a coffee filter and GENTLY wipe the strip.  If you rub too hard it will rub off the marks.  Don't use any cleaning solution (like Windex) because this will remove the marks for sure.

Encoder strip is available on Ebay and is fairly easy to replace without removing the carriage.  Have to remove the left hand cover to do it.

If you haven't already, you can download a copy of the service manual that will show how to change the encoder strip.

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1083/1086/files/T1100-T610-service_manual.pdf?5546573639607061404

This manual download link came from the LPS Computers website that is an excellent source for parts and advice.  (No affilitation.)

https://www.lpscomputer.com/collections/designjet-t1100-t1120-parts

Could also be a problem with the carriage bushing that rides on the chrome rail.  If the carriage rail has never been lubricated now would be a good time to do it.  Use only a synthetic lube like a sewing machine oil.  Don't use WD-40 because it will become gummy and cause too much friction.  HP does make a lubrication oil but I've found it to be a bit pricey.  There is another bushing that rides on the top of the carriage but if that one is damaged it will usually cause a hard stop.  It's lubricated by a small piece of fabric-like material at the top of the carriage path right above the service station.  A few drops of oil on that will help lube that bushing also.

Good luck.  Let us know how it comes out.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

The correct HP recommended  method for cleaning the encoder strip is to put a couple of drops of isopropyl alcohol on a lint free cloth and then dampen with water. The diluted mixture ensures that oily residue and fingerprints are completely removed but will not damage the strip.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

it tries to go left and right but eventually stays in place and gives a paper jam error (86:01
I saw my Z3100 44" 86:01 few days ago, then I cleaned the silver rod, lubricate it & error disappeared.

also 10 days ago, my Z3200 44" gave me that error, no matter how I tried & error remained. So I carefully
removed the carriage box out, then checked the little piece on the carriage box, it was there. So I carefully
insert the carriage box back, belt properly tensioned. Successed & error disappeared.

HP Recommended

Thanks for clarifying the cleaning process Repairtrooper.  I know I've made the mistake in the past of cleaning an encoder strip with Windex and immediately removed most of the marks.  Forutunately I had a spare and got back up and running.  With the marks damaged it displayed the same error and symptoms as the OP's except it stopped on the return trip of the carriage in a position on the left side, just before midpoint.  I was surprised it made it that far.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Thank you for all the advice! I have taken out the carriage assembly and checked it for obstructions, nothing there. All bushings are OK. The rod has been cleaned and lubricated. The encoder strip has been cleaned. Small succes, the carriage assembly no longer gets stuck halfway over the service station.

But I still get a 86:01 possible paper jam error after it has moved the star wheels up and dow during the start-up cycle.

I don't know what comes after this in the start-up process, but I feel like the problem might be there.

I once got a 79:04 error.

HP Recommended

check the encoder strip.   the silver long piece    check the right side   , it should enter   printer perfectly, proper tension,  
then left side where screw was tighten.. the screw hole should be exactly & screw tightened.. end hole rest right on a tiny
higher dot...

79:04 error, might related to  printheads, inks afterward , etc.
keep your mind calm, sharp.
myself whenever I got problem, I stayed beside printer & drink cold beer & think solutions   .. hehe

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.