Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP DesignJet T730
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have two T730's with problems.  They are both 2-3 years old.  One was getting encoder strip related errors.  in the past, I have cleaned them with a lint free cloth and a little water.  When I cleaned this one, the mask printing came off.  I've never had that happen using water before.  Has anyone seen this?  I have to get a new encoder strip.

The cutter in the other plotters rattles loudly all the way across.  It seems to be very sloppy.  I noticed one of the O-rings is cracked.  I used to see this problem on the DJ 105x plotters and replaced the O-rings.  I figured by now HP had switch to more durable O-rings but I guess not.  The other problem is a possible ink leak.  While looking at the cutter problem and running a test print, there was black ink smearing on the patterns.  There is black ink practically dripping off the printhead.  Has anyone see this?  I guess I'll have to order a replacement printhead, clean the mess up, and hope this was a one-off thing.

HP DJ T730_1.jpgHP DJ T730_2.jpgHP DJ T730_3.jpgHP DJ T730_4.jpg

Chris

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Only had problems with encoder strips when a user decided that alcohol was a great cleaning solution. Recommended is one or two drops on a cloth and then moisten with water, this ensures that grease gets removed but should not be harsh enough to cause mask lift. I have had printhead failures on these models, pretty regular while ago. Some were so bad that the line sensor cleaning brush on the service station was destroyed and had to be replaced. O-ring issue, I am guessing that there is rubber consistency that provides the best traction on variable media types. Environment can also play a big roll in failure of rubber components. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.  I didn't expect problems like this so soon when I decided to push my clients to replace the old DJ 105x plotters I'd been maintained well past HP's EOL.  I'm not very happy about it.  The cutter and encoder strip don't bother me as much as the ink mess.  I hate to see what the service station looks like when I get a closer look.  My guess is I'll have to clean it up when the replacement printhead arrives or order a replacement service station.  I hope HP has the leak problem resolved.  At this point in the evolution of printheads, they should beyond a problem like this.

HP Recommended

If it is any relief, I have not had a printhead leak a second time on any of the printers I have done.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.