Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Design Jet 500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've had the DesignJet500 for years and generally speaking it works ok, other than from time to time computers don't communicate with it. I cannot install the driver HP give as windows tells me its not compatible with a 64bit computer. They don't appear to have any other drivers.

I've recently had a Jet Direct Card installed, this worked fine until I purchased a new laptop, now I cannot install any drivers to work with the plotter. And randomly its managed to stop working with the computers it did work with.

Any advice most welcome.

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Have your tried just installing the generic windows drivers for it? I believe the 500 is a rather older machine right?

HP Recommended

Its an older machine yes. The only reason it’s not been replaced is because it works perfect for what we need it to do. Ive installed the generic windows driver for it, that’s what it Usually runs on. 
Today I spoke to windows, it would appear to be a windows update issue. 
It would seem HP made the plotter so well it’s becoming seriously outdated. A recent windows update has caused some major issues. Their update not only messed with the plotter but even caused issues with their own 365 software. Something to do with LAN settings. I’ve had to remove their update to fix the issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.