Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP DesignJet 111 24-in Printer with Roll
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I don't understand, I have a DesignJet 111 (yes, an old lady, but it works very well for my needs).

On the official HP documentation, it says that in the supported media, there is "HP 160 Transparent Matte Polyester Film > ref. 51642A (AEJN)"

Capture d’écran 2022-08-16 à 22.28.34.png

However, it doesn't work at all. As soon as you put on this kind of media, the light cell of the printer slides along the media, and the printer goes into error, ejecting the media.

I called the phone support, although the technician couldn't answer me honestly (because the printer is no longer supported), he told me that it might be due to the Mac OS driver which doesn't support this support, but that Windows 10 or 11 does.

So I took my Windows PC, downloaded the latest driver and... exactly the same problem.

So I thought about it for a while and tried a trick; stick 2 pieces of adhesive paper; the first one on the edge of the transparent support and a second strip about 30 cm further.

There, the cell, does not detect any more error and the printer accepts to print without problem (proof in photo)

Preuve_Cellule_20220816_221149.jpeg

On the other hand, obviously, it would be necessary to make this handling with each document => madness!

So my question is, why does HP prevent printing on the media specified in their own documentation and don't propose a patch to accept them?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi, maybe it could help others, I found a better solution. 

Finally, I did a test with a transparent (translucent) paper that I use on my other printer of a different brand, it is a bit milky, and there it works.

So the HP plotter cell needs to see some opacity.

I also found an HP brand "film paper" at an HP dealer, and he confirmed that it has an opaque liner on the back.

So that's the end of the mystery. But HP should clearly explain it in their documentation I think.

Thank you.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hi, maybe it could help others, I found a better solution. 

Finally, I did a test with a transparent (translucent) paper that I use on my other printer of a different brand, it is a bit milky, and there it works.

So the HP plotter cell needs to see some opacity.

I also found an HP brand "film paper" at an HP dealer, and he confirmed that it has an opaque liner on the back.

So that's the end of the mystery. But HP should clearly explain it in their documentation I think.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

I've had very good results from printing with HP polyester that comes with a strip of paper on either edge of the roll.  This allows the printer to "see" the edges of the material so it know there's media loaded.

If you're feeding sheets you might be okay putting something like painter's tape on the edges of the sheet.  It should do the same thing and will be easy to remove.  Anything that will reflect the light back to the sensor.

I'm pretty sure it's in the owner's manual that you must use clear material with opaque edges to make the printer respond correctly.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Thanks @D Hook

Yes, I understood from a photo of HP brand polyester film on the internet that the roll had 2 opaque strips on each side, but it's hard to be sure from the available product photos.

Now, if you have polyester film on a roll from another brand, made for inkjet, imagine the hell of having to manually place painter's tape on each side along the entire length of the roll 🙂

But since the milky film works, it also gives the consumer a wider range of media origins.

Thanks for your help.

HP Recommended

Sounds like you found a good solution to the problem.

If you find a vendor selling the clear material, it might be worth asking about the edges.  I would imagine any product you find on rolls would have the strips but still worth the question to avoid the hassle of returns.  

Good luck.  Your picture you posted looks very interesting.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.