Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet 500
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Hi,

I had 61:05 errors while printing large sheets (A1).
Suggestion for solution was firmware-update and I downloaded HP_Designjet_Firmware_Update_Tool_A.04.02 from HP support page.

Update finished without further problems.

Now I cannot print any more at all. Each and every try brings up 61:05 error.

What can I do?

Is there a firmware downgrade or an alterantive way??

Thanks

Uli

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

This error relates to the hp gl2 card located in the left rear of the printer in one of the eio slots. Performing a firmware upgrade with the card installed sometimes causes the card to go bad which is probably your case. There is a way you can still use the plotter. Remove the gl2 card with the power off and it should boot to ready. Now you will probably need to change the driver you are using. Go to the link below and download the pcl3 driver and once loaded you should be back in business.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-designjet-500-printer-series/25301/swI...

HP Recommended

Thanks for the advice, I  had the same idea yesterday evening and it looks like  I can print again - using the PCL3 driver.

But it is a bad thing to loose the HPGL/2 card, as it is the only way to use the designjet after an upgrade to Win10. There are no PCL3 drivers for Win10. In addition the PCL3 driver for XP (I am using it on Win7) offers less options, is not available in German language and as being old and not supported any more, it might bring up new problems.

I really cannot understand why HP offers such a firmware update utility that does not give a warning that it might kill a part of the machine.  It feels like done on purpose, trying to push old hardware out of the field.

Disappointing!

Uli

HP Recommended

Thank you for using the HP forum.

Error : Designjet 500 error 61:05 after firmware update

Cause: Error Processing Job. This Error Code only appears in HP DesignJets 800 Series, or in the HP DesignJet 500 and 510 Series with an HPGL/2 card installed, when processing either a postScript or HP-GL/2 file.

Solution:

 Switch the Printer Off and wait a few minutes. Switch the Printer On again and resend the file that you were trying to print.

 If the Error Code reappears after resending the file, then try generating the file again and try to print again.

 If the file that is causing this error is PostScript, check if it is Binary. If the file is Binary, use AppleTalk to send the file to the Printer. If AppleTalk is not being used to send the Binary file to the Printer, then change the PostScript settings to Binary through the Front Panel (Set-up menu / PS settings / Encoding / Binary). If the Error Code continues to reappear, check for a new release of the Driver.

Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
--Say "Thanks" by clicking the Kudos Star in the post that helped you.
--Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"

HP Recommended
Cleaning the electrical contacts:
  1. Turn the printer off, then on.
  2. Allow printer to complete initialization.
  3. Using the Down Arrow key, scroll to the Ink menu (ink drop icon) and press Enter.
  4. Scroll to Replace Printheads and press Enter.
  5. Open the top cover.
  6. Open the carriage cover and remove all printheads.
  7. Turn the printer off.
  8. Clean the electrical contacts on the carriage and the printheads using a lint-free cloth (i.e. coffee filter), lightly dampened with water.
  9. When the contacts are dry, reinstall the printheads and close the carriage cover.
  10. Close the top cover.
  11. Turn the printer on and attempt to recreate the error.
  12. If the error persists, try replacing the black printhead first (most common cause), or replace any other printhead displaying error messages.
  13. If the error persists, continue with the remaining steps.
General troubleshooting steps:
  1. Turn off and turn on the HP Designjet 800 and 500 series printer. If the error persists, go to step 3.
  2. Send a test print from the printer driver. If it prints successfully, go to software troubleshooting. If it is unsuccessful, proceed to step 3.
  3. Turn off the printer and disconnect the parallel cable and any network cables, leaving only the power cable connected.
  4. Turn the printer on and send the Troubleshooting Print from the Ink System menu of the front panel. If the Troubleshooting test print is successful, go to troubleshooting the connection section. If the error reappears when performing the troubleshooting print, there may be a hardware problem with the printer.
  5. For a Designjet 500 printer with an HPGL/2 accessory card, remove any added memory. For a Designjet 800 printer, try a different memory DIMM if one is available.
  6. Check for a new release of the firmware and upgrade to the latest version if needed.
  7. If the error persists, press the MENU button when the error appears to obtain further information for HP Customer Care technical support and go to Contact HP.
Troubleshooting the connection between the HP Designjet and the computer
  1. When using a parallel or USB connection, ensure that the HP Designjet 800 and 500 series printer is the only device connected to that USB or parallel port. Other devices such as switchboxes can interfere with the communication between the computer and the printer.
  2. Try a different cable.
  3. If using a parallel cable, verify that the cable is less than three meters long and is IEEE-1284 compliant.
  4. Try a different parallel port mode on the computer. HP Designjet Customer Care cannot do this, if assistance is needed, please refer to the computer’s documentation or technical support.
HP Recommended

Thanks for the advices. But there is no problem with printheads, mechanics or other internals of the print engine.

The Designjet still prints endless if I use the PCL3 driver. I did  a 4m long test print yesterday. No error messages, no qulity issues. But outdated PCL3 and no drivers for actual operating systems.

The update killed the HPGL/2 card and there was no warning that this could happen. Meanwhile I found a blog from someone who had the same issue, so I am pretty sure that HP had knowledge about the problem. Tempting someone towards a firmware update and not warning about such a known  effect is by far the worst imaginable way to treat a customer.

It looks like I am forced to buy a new plotter and this will not be a HP product.

Uli

HP Recommended

Hey All,

i had the same issue. updated the Firmware on HP Designjet 500+HP-GL/2+Network Module. and i've solved the issue.

the firmware update was'nt successfully. After installing secoudn HPGL2 module i get successed. but i couldn't print self service print. 

A. Try test plotter self.

1.Remove the HP-GL/2 Modul

2.Remove Other Network interfaces.

3. Try to print self service. if not successful try to update via A,04

B. If the self service succsed without Modules.

1. tutn off plotter.

2. install hpgl2 module.(the old one)

3.try to print self serive print. if not successful try update via A,04( i tested via A,05)

C. if the print after install hpgl2 successed.

1. trun off plotter

2.install network interface

3.from the web interface update the firmware of module.

4.from lcd panel on plotter, form setup menu reset ID Card.

I've get the problem solved via the explained routine. i hope i could help others.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.