Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet 500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I recenlty had to change a belt on our Designjet 500 printer. After re-assembling the printer and turning the printer back on, I received the error message "system error 86:01 possibly a paper jam". 

When turning on the printer, the machine begins to load and gets to the intializing sequence. After the intializing sequence the carriage, which is sitting on the right side of the printer makes a small jerking motion and then the error message appears on the LCD screen.

Please let me know what I can do to fix this error and to get the machine back up and running.

Thanks. NT.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

See if you can move the carriage out from the right side with the  power off. If it does not move, download the service manual and look for insruction to enter service mode on turn on so you can unlock the carriage and after the carriage is unlocked see if you can move it. The other item to check is to make sure you put the encoder strip back correctly. Make sure the fine lines are at the top of the encoder since it will not work upside down. Also make sure the encoder is going thru the center of the carriage assembly and the carriage move smoothly.

HP Recommended

I was able to run the printer on service mode and unlock the carriage. After unlocking the carriage, I was still not able to move the carriage from the right though. Carriage stills seems to get stuck on something. I also checked the encoder strip and the the clear film is on the top and the encoder strip appears to be going through the carriage assembly.

HP Recommended

I read your post  few days back & no reply. So here is my own hints :

if your printer was working & after the belt & started to have that error . I recommend you do the following :

First, what kind of belt ?  if you have the genuine HP belt & no need to change pully. if you bought the cheap belt from

China..   ok... but you must use their pulley.

if above not the case. next...

check the encorder strip right side where is the retangle plate with a curb where the encorder strip went thru & going left.

, make sure the metal silver plate resting perfectly inside bracket  ( or caused the tension too tight & get that error . I fooled myself with it few months back )

also check the pulley on right side & make sure it is fully up /released..

check & see what happen...

Also recently I had 1 dj500 & 2 DJ800  with that error & I fixed with brand new line sensor which on the far left wide, very hidden .

good luck

HP Recommended

I have one of the china belts and I did you use the pulley they provided. 

I removed the cover on the right side to check encoder strip plate and it looked secure inside the bracket.

After replacing the cover, I received a a new error message. "System erro 21:10".

After looking online for troublshooting error 21:10, I found a video explaining to clean carriage assembly.

After cleaning off ink residue and replacing carriage in the machine, I receivd the error 21:10 again.

I am only seeing the error message 21:10 now and not 86: 01.

HP Recommended

21:10 error is a service station error and that error occurs before the carriage even attempts to move. Look at the service station and see if you can nudge the assembly to move into the assembly. If not remove the service station and then reinstall.

HP Recommended

Did you put the paper cutter back ? Simple mistake but this can cause this error 

Kind regards 

Peter

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.