Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet 800 24"
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Purchased a used Designjet 800 and was told that the only issue with it was connecting to the network.  I have it connected via USB to my Windows 7 desktop and downloaded the drivers from HP.  The Test Print sent resulted in a solid black rectangle being printed.  It then required me to replace all of the ink cartridges as they were all expired.

After replacing all 4 cartridges with genuine HP products, it wanted to do a printhead alignment, which it failed due to printing a solid black rectangle, so I replaced all 4 expired printheads with genuine HP printheads.  

After replacing all printheads, it still prints a solid black rectangle and fails the printhead alignment procedure, to which it asks if I would like to perform a color calibration.  Color calibration results the same error due to printing a solid black rectangle.

Lastly, I upgraded the F/W from A.00.05B to A.05.01.  Still getting a solid black rectangle no matter what I print, Test Print, PDF, Printer Information from front display, printhead alignment, color calibration.

The solid black rectangles do have some specs of cyan, magenta, and yellow scattered throughout, but for the most part, they are black.

Please help me.  I have put in over $500 worth of ink cartridges and printheads alone and not sure how much more to invest.

Thank you,

Kevin

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Dear Sir 

your problem seem to be related to the carriage board ,or less possible  the trailing cable , please try to move or fix the trailing cable to see if it get better .

other wise you need to troubleshoot the error by replacing  the carriage board first taking good care when removing the trailing cable if the connectors are still in good shape and position .

let me know 

thanks 

HP Recommended

I opened up the machine to closely inspect the trailing cable and did not see any areas of concern or damage.  I removed the entire trailing cable and re-seated the connections to the carriage board and the electronics module.  Reassembled and attempted a printhead alignment procedure and still had the same results as before, printing a large black rectangle roughly measuring 5 inches by 11 inches.

I will look into the cost of a new carriage board, but will want to do more troubleshooting before throwing any more money at this.

Thanks,

Kevin

HP Recommended

I would reseat the formatter assembly first off. Then I would try to print one of the status pages from the control panel to determine if you have a hardware issue or a driver/software issue.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Dear Sir  yes my experience (15 years ) indicate me to replace the carriage board before  the trailing cable the possibility that the main logic board is the problem is very low .I suggest to call for a technician that has the parts and upon troubleshooting  replace the appropriate part .

My experience  with same problem was to find a  staples recharge needle  that i removed and the printer worked without  replacing parts

on aliex press or e bay you can find C7769 C7779 FOR HP DesignJet printers 500 Carriage PC board plotter parts printer printer parts for US $35.99 hope i was able to help  Good day

HP Recommended

Dear  Repairatrooper 

nothing  to reseat , the trailing cable as the plotter owner said that he  removed and reinstalled the trailing cable verifying the connector , and no error 11:11 appeared  as he is able to print , no status page in plotter , just alignment and  troubleshooting

Good day 

I am sure you have a good printer laser  background 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.