Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP DesignJet 650 Printer series
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I'm trying to use the Jetdirect card to communicate with the printer via my ethernet port.  I've followed the instructions on this page: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/DesignJet-Large-Format-Printers-and-Digital-Press/How-to-install-drive...

Starting at the "Add the printer (plotter)" section, since I didn't have unsigned driver issues on Win 7.  Everything seems to have installed properly.  IP address for the printer is 192.168.1.13 in case that matters.  I'm using the LAN HW address as the MAC and entering the last six digits of that.

I followed the instructions on this page as well: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/bpj02807

I'm using a regular ethernet cable connected from my computer to the plotter but the computer still can't communicate with the plotter.  MIO card test shows that it's present.

When I followed the instructions in the second link then went back to the "Ready to plot" page, it seems to reset the "Cfg Network" back to no.  However, all the other changes are saved, and printing a plot config page shows the ip as being what I put in, and BootP is still set to no.

Can anyone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?  Thank you for any help you can provide!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended
If the ethernet cable is going directly to the design jet without a switch in between then the default gateway should be the ip address of the designjet.

The default gateway put into the designjet setting should be the ip address of the PC.

And you might need a crossover cable with that jetdirect.

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended
What is the ip address of your PC?

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended

IP is 192.168.1.49

Subnet mask is 255.255.255.0

Default gateway is 192.168.1.1

HP Recommended
If the ethernet cable is going directly to the design jet without a switch in between then the default gateway should be the ip address of the designjet.

The default gateway put into the designjet setting should be the ip address of the PC.

And you might need a crossover cable with that jetdirect.

HP Recommended

You were correct.  The cable needed to be a crossover.  I also needed to stop using my regular network IP for the printer.  I realized that when I read this page: https://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1146436-connecting-printer-with-ethernet-cable-to-pc/

Not that anyone will ever need this, but just in case, I'll give details of my setup.

I changed the IPv4 configuration on my computer to be:

IP: 192.168.100.20

SM: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.100.21

The printer has:

IP: 192.168.100.21

SM: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.100.20

I cut open my ethernet cable and made it into a crossover.  My computer is on a wireless network, so I wasn't using the ethernet port for the internet, though it's easy enough to switch back and forth if I needed to print and be on a wired network.  Since I'm using a 64 bit version of Windows, I used the 64 bit driver from one of my previous links.  Everything works great!  Thank you!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.