Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet Z5400 PS
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

It occurs on most jobs, specially those that are large size (A0 size or above).  

Error code: 79:04.

What we did:

a) First of all we made sure Firmware was updated 

b) Then, we have followed all diagnostic test and steps detailed in "Appendix A: How to troubleshoot SE 79.04", sections: Data related SE79:04 and Hardware related SE79:04. 

We suspect the is an issue with the Formatter (which we already restarted). When turning on or restarting the printer LEDs show as follows:

Formatter I LED: On

Formatter II LED: On

Formatter III LED: Flashing

Power Supply LED: On

Touch Control Panel status: Ok

Please someone help us!!

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Any chance you can get a WIN7 computer to install and print large size job for testing purpose?

It could be something within driver running on WIN10

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

Valsimot is correct; it could be a driver problem or a PS file problem.  I'd double check that before replacing anything.

Can you try to resend the last successful print you sent to the printer?

You're on the right track according to the LED light behavior and not sure a bad file would cause the lights to show what you describe. 

Since it looks like you have a service manual, pay special attention to the note on page 389:

Hard Disk Drive
NOTE: For Revision B printers the Formatter and Hard Disk are replaced as a single part,

If you don't have a service manual you can download one by googling "Designjet Z5400" and a PDF version should come up.

Let us know how it turns out.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

no win7 available unfortunately, however I have reinstalled driver and Hp Clic software on a win10 notebook, and sent jobs from there and got the same behavior.

HP Recommended

just to understand, the LED light is asking to replace a formatter/hard disk? thanks

HP Recommended

Yes, that's what the service manual indicates if reseating didn't help.

Did you say the error comes up only on some prints, not others?

Are you using a RIP software?

Does it print any of the internal demo prints ok?

HP Recommended

D Hook, 

sorry for replying so late.

error comes only on some prints, but it isn't related to the file itself..for example one file may print correctly and then the same file may fail to finish printing any other day.

we are using either the HP Clic program and the Z5400 PS PS3 driver (latest versions) to print over LAN 

internal demo prints are ok...

thank you 

HP Recommended

That error code sequence is definitely an Engine PCA issue, not formatter. CR647-67011

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Repairatrooper is correct.  I misread the trouble-shooting chart.  Thanks for catching that!

HP Recommended

Thanks Repairatrooper! I gave you a Kudo! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.