Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet Z6100
Microsoft Windows XP (64-bit)

I am having issues **after replacing the HDD and Interconnect PCA** on my Designjet Z6100.

2 Beeps after startup with a black rectangle on screen which remains.  Initializing doesn't ever complete.  I have tried to go into service mode by pressing the buttons together but no luck with that. 

I'm hesitant to replace Main PCA and that not be the problem.  Doesn anyone have any experience with this and what might help?

Thanks in advance.IMG_6802.JPG

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Happy you are now up and running. If you look at my post from 4/1 I told you to hold off with the main pca since you posted the hard disk was just a plain hard disk and not from HP.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17
HP Recommended
I'm having a similar problem. But I replaced the main PCA and the DIMMS as well as power supply. I still get the blank rectangle. Next I am going to replace the HD.
HP Recommended

Hey PrinterDoc,  thanks for the reply!  I've already replaced the HDD, that is where I started.  Your post is why I'm reluctant to spend the $500 on the Main PCA (that it still won't work).  My, you're a few bucks into this!

So you haven't tried the HD yet? 

HP Recommended

Hard to give you advice. 2 Beeps are you know are either the Main Board or the Power Supply. One thing if you have not already done so is to remove the memory and put back only 1 chip if you have more in one slot and if still problem put same chip in other slot. Do this with the power off. Also listen closely since bad memory will give 3 beeps.

HP Recommended

Thanks David!  I did try taking the memory card out of one slot and installing it into the other slot (only had one installed) and restarting with same results.

My biggest question is if replacing the front panel might help as opposed to the Main PCA.  (It's much cheaper;))  But you mentioned that it is rarely that so...

HP Recommended

To be honest I have never seen the display go bad on this or earlier versions of this model. Most times on this and the 4000 series I had to replace the main board which is just a intel pentium 4 board with special bios. I guess you could remove all the pci cards attached to the motherboard and see if you get a different action like something on the display and a error code.

HP Recommended
That is very helpful, thank you. I'm going to go ahead with the Main PCA.

One last question: The hard drive I replaced was not an HP authorized part, just a drive that had all the same specs. It did get rid of the fax machine sound and the 8 beeps. But it won't get past initializing. (Now the 2 beeps and rectangle). The HP HDD isn't one that comes loaded with the software or something is it? (Forgive my ignorance please)
HP Recommended
HP Recommended

Yes it is, but before you order I think the firmware (operating system) is contained on the hard disk so if you did not get the hard disk with the firmware that could be part of the issue. You need to have a hard disk which is provided by hp which has a special format and partitions and without it I do not think it will boot.

HP Recommended
👍🏻
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.