Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 8740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HELP

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

I have updated Windows and downloaded driver and the computer and printer will not talk anymore.

Is there someone I could speak to?

HP Recommended

Hi @WendyJean61,

I'd like to help with the connectivity issue.

To better assist you - 

What is the status of the wireless light on the printer, steady or blinking?

I would like to know, is your router set to work on 2.4 GHz network or 5 GHz network band?

Is your printer connected to a home network or public network

If the wireless blue light is solid, then 

Let's try and uninstall the printer software from the root level on your PC and install the full feature printer software.

--->In Windows, search for and open Programs and Features.

--->Select your HP printer.

--->Select Uninstall.

--->In Windows, search for and open Devices and Printers.

--->In the Devices and Printers window look for your HP Printer. If you see it listed, right-click on it and choose "Delete" or "Remove Device.”

--->Open up the run command with the "Windows Key + R" key combo.

--->Type printui.exe /s and click OK.

--->Click on the Drivers tab.

--->Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it click on it and click remove at the bottom.

--->Select OK.

--->Select Apply and OK on the Print Server Properties windows.

--->Close Devices and Printers.

And then reinstall the printer full-featured drivers from software and drivers page 

We would have to connect the printer to TCP/IP port- follow the below instructions-

--->Touch on the wifi icon ((i)) on the printer, and take down the IP address 

a. Click Start/Devices and Printers.  Right-click on your HP Printer.  Select Printer Properties.  Select the Ports tab at the top.

b.    Select Add Port.  Select Standard TCP/IP Port.  Select New Port.

c.    Follow the Add Port Wizard.  Under Printer Name or IP Address, .  Example:  192.168.1.15.  The IP address will be copied under Port Name.  

d.    Select Next and Finish the Wizard.

If the wireless light is blinking, then try and connect the printer-

1. From the home screen of your printer control panel, touch the Wireless icon .

2. Touch the Setup icon .

3. Touch Restore Network Defaults or Restore Network Settings, and then touch Yes to confirm your selection.

4. After the default network settings are restored, touch the back arrow, touch Wireless Settings, and then touch Wireless Setup Wizard.

The printer searches for available networks.

5. Touch the name of your wireless network.

6. If your wireless network does not display in the list of wireless networks, touch Enter New Network Name, and then type the name of your wireless network.

NOTE: 

Type the exact network name, including any uppercase and lowercase letters.

7. Type the WEP or WPA key (network password), and then touch Done.

If you do not know your network password, go to Find Your Wireless WEP, WPA, WPA2 Password..

Once the printer connects to the wireless network, the blue Wireless light on the control panel turns on solid.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.