Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Hp Z6100
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi, I have a z6100 printer but when I try to print to it it keeps telling me that the file is in an incorrect format. It’s driving me more than a bit mad. Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Should have it right after they Z6100 name on the front of the printer.  Or you could use the front menu on the printer and find the page that gives the specs.  It will say either "Z6100" or "Z6100PS".  I would suggest you use the menu rather than rely on the front name plate.  I have a 4500PS that does NOT have the PS after it.  Loaded the wrong driver and kept getting the same message.  Once I checked the front panel menu, I discovered I had loaded the non-PS driver instead.  On mine, the doors are easily replaced and that may have been the problem, replacing the door from an non-PS model.

The picture you posted says you're about to load the driver for the PS model.  I don't think it will work in the non-PS models; it will give the error you're seeing.  

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

image.jpg

HP Recommended

Printer is Z6100

product number q6652a

graphics language is auto

pc is windows 10 64bit

HP Recommended

What file type are you trying to print and what program are you printing from?

Are you printing from the EWS?  I get that same message when I try to go through the EWS system on the web .

Is this a PS printer?  (Post Script))

HP Recommended

I’ve tried from multiple programs, mostly photoshop. In all available formats.

HP Recommended

How would I find out if it’s PS?

HP Recommended

Should have it right after they Z6100 name on the front of the printer.  Or you could use the front menu on the printer and find the page that gives the specs.  It will say either "Z6100" or "Z6100PS".  I would suggest you use the menu rather than rely on the front name plate.  I have a 4500PS that does NOT have the PS after it.  Loaded the wrong driver and kept getting the same message.  Once I checked the front panel menu, I discovered I had loaded the non-PS driver instead.  On mine, the doors are easily replaced and that may have been the problem, replacing the door from an non-PS model.

The picture you posted says you're about to load the driver for the PS model.  I don't think it will work in the non-PS models; it will give the error you're seeing.  

HP Recommended

Thank you everyone for taking the time to respond and help. I got it sorted finally. I’m new to  this and I’m sure I’ll be posting another question some time 🙂 please be patient.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.