Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
DesignJet Z5400 PS

What I ahve done so far: Updated to 06_06_00.1 fw, replaced formatter & HDD, main PCA, Internet connect PCA & control panel.

I have followed everything, i have reseated the formatter multiple times, I have contacted HP Support They stated to replace the formatter and HDD, I did and ordered another formatter and HDD, we have gotten the following errors after replacing formatter number 3: 79:04 then goes to an 08:04. I have also gotten a 39:1:01 Roll 1 unload error ( there was no paper loaded) It could very well be a short in roll 1 sensor. But now I am stumped. ANY SUGGESTIONS??? HELP!!!

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Are you ordering the correct parts and are they from HP as never used new parts. Designjet printers do not like used parts as it can effect model number and cause all sorts of issues. Keep in mind your plotter came is two version A and B models. In other words your model is either  E1L21A or  E1L21B and the formatter and hard disk part is different between the models and can not be interchanged. The A version has separate part numbers for the formatter and the hard disk and the B model has to be ordered as a combined part containing both the formatter ahd hard disk.

HP Recommended
Yes these are genuine HP parts. Yes I ordered the correct parts. I've been working on HP machines since 1988 I know how to order the correct parts with the correct version. I have the B version and it specifies it in the service manual
HP Recommended

Enter the diagnostics menu and check model and serial number information. It is always possible that one of the parts you got before was not right and it has effected what you know to be the model number and what the plotter thinks is its model number. It happened to me once with a Z3200 where we were sent the wrong part by HP and it changed the model number on one of the boards and they had to send us a special file to correct the problem.

HP Recommended
I have already verified model and serial number. Also HP support has also verified.
HP Recommended

Send me a private message with your email address and I will send you a document I can not post here. It may be of help.

HP Recommended
RGJGJR1967@yahoo.com
HP Recommended
I still have not resolved the issue . Does anyone have a solution for this problem?
HP Recommended

I sent you a document which included some items you did not try. For example did you replace the cable set from the control panel to the main pca? Did you try getting past the error by removing all the ink tanks, printheads and any media? You marked the item as solved last night so did it actually work and then the error came back. We need information and telling us exactly what you have done. I am trying to help but it seems like you may have tried most of the items and are looking for some magical solution someone else discovered. Most times that is not the case. Also you do not tell us the history of the error. Did it just appear after the plotter was working fine for a long time or did something else happen and other things were done and now you have this error that will not go away. Unless hp is senidng you the parts at no charge you have spent almost as much as a new plotter with 3 formater/hard disk, pca and interconnect replacements. HP used to have a repair option for a fixed price where they send out a tech and replace what is necessary to get the machine working. Cost more then a local support provider but would seem to be one of your options since you have replaced most parts suggested for the error.

HP Recommended
I did Not mark this as solved last night. I don't know what happened on this site but I did not mark anything. This site is f'd up sometimes that's the second time this has happened to me when my issues are marked as solved when they are not. The customer decided not to put anymore money in this machine. I am thinking there is a short somewhere in the wiring harness. This machine hasn't been taken apart at all not even for a belt. So I am not sure how the harness could be bad?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.