Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
designjet 5500ps 42 inch
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I have a Designjet 5500PS 42 inch and wanted to know if I can remove the printer's hard drive and make an image file of the software to save in case my HD goes bad ?

Is this safe to do so or will it cause any problems to the printer ?

I know the HD is a 40 gig and Western Digital manufacture

Bobby

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

D Hook

I can find a hd part number WD4000BB-00JHC0

But I cant find  Q1252-S0602 I can find a Q1252 but the last 5 digits are not S0602

and what is in my 5500ps is

WD4000BB-00JHC0

Q1252-S0602

Gonna check out the link you gave me in the pm

Thank You

Bobby

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Anybody ?

HP Recommended

I know it's been done before and if you search this board there are threads about how to do it.  But it's a little tricky.  I've never tried myself.  I know it's more complicated than just copying the HD because HP has a different format method than usual.  But an easier option is to go on ebay and buy a replacement HD that will come loaded with the latest firmware and paper ICC profiles.  Then it's a plug and play operation.  This is what I did when I bought my first 5500.  I kept the original HD in a box so I'd have it in case of emergency.  Still have it somewhere.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended

Sent you a PM.

HP Recommended

D Hook

I can find a hd part number WD4000BB-00JHC0

But I cant find  Q1252-S0602 I can find a Q1252 but the last 5 digits are not S0602

and what is in my 5500ps is

WD4000BB-00JHC0

Q1252-S0602

Gonna check out the link you gave me in the pm

Thank You

Bobby

HP Recommended

The part number for the PS hard drive for the Designjet 5500 is: Q1252-60054

HP Recommended

Semaphore

the label on the hard drive that is in my 42 inch 5500PS reads...

WD400BB- 00JHC0

Q1252-S0602

Does the 42 inch and 60 inch models use the same firmware ?

Thanks

Bobby

HP Recommended

The WD number is Western Digital's part number. Not sure about the Q1252-S0602, HP typically doesn't use letters in the last 5 digits of part numbers. Are you sure the S is not a 5?

I'm not sure about the firmware for those models but I would think the versions would be unique to 42" or 60".

HP Recommended

Semaphore

Here is a photo of the installed Hard Drive IMG-20191231-01828.jpg

HP Recommended

Here's an old post I had archived.  Hopefully it will open for you.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3m1du96sgtpbifv/Installing%20a%20new%20blank%20hard%20drive%20in%20a%20Des...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.