Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP Designjet 4500 Scanner Q1277A

At first the 4500 Scanner problem was intermittent--it would only scan a center portion of the drawing and not the enitre drawing.  And it would seemingly only do this after several to many minutes--kinda like something is heating up and then overheating and causing this problem, but I don't truly know.  Cycling power on the scanner would seemingly remedy the problem for a while.  Sometimes it would work for a long period of time with no problem.

Also, when performing scanner maintenance it would do this:    give these errors:   55-203, 55-205, 55-523 sheet not recognized.

I have reinstalled the software twice.

I hate to admit this but I have thrown parts at it; I have replaced:

main pca (new)
driver board (new)
power supply (used)
all 3 camera boards and their 2 motors (used)

new lamp

The only things that I know of that I haven't replaced are:

lamp cartridge
interface board
control panel (not sure if there is a board associated, not looked inside that end in a long time)

HOWEVER, after I cycle power (I did this several times with the same result as follows), it scans with a full preview of the scan with a blue background (probably blue because it has not been calibrated).

Then the 2nd and subsequent times it scans with a black preview.

I restarted the scanner once and scanned to file; it scanned to file, only a middle portion of the drawing, 3X's in a row, then it scanned to file as a black image (maybe this was after the scanner adjusted (no amber light)).

Hmmm, WHILE ADJUSTING (with the amber light) once it scanned 3X's with a full preview of the scan with a blue background.

After it adjusted (no amber light), it scanned to a black preview.

It seems that it will scan fairly somewhat well while adjusting, but after it adjusts, it scans to black.

The 2 different type scans it makes during adjusting are attached.

I'm bewildered.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Now it seems like a phantom problem.
I installed all my old original parts, and erased parameter blocks after reinstalling each one, and the scanner appears fine.  My only thought is that originally MAYBE POSSIBLY I had a tentative cable connection.  (I did discover 2 bent pins for the camera C? socket on the old original main pca, but I think I may have bent those by rocking the connector when I last removed it.)  After disconnecting and reconnecting main pca and camera boards a few times, I THINK it is possible that a tentative cable connection was made a GOOD connection.  But I am not really sure.
I did get a diagnostic flashing red LED (wait LED - off, ready LED - off), and I got a 55-203 error again.  I assume because camera C's motor had run its length--hit a stop. It appeared to have bottomed out.  (earlier both arms had been sitting around 9:15--similar to a clock face)

I tried to center both vertical alignment adjustment arms in the center of their adjustment screws.  I then tried calibration and no more 55-203 so far.
Again I guess ALL my old original parts were OK after having been removed, replaced, and reinstalled.
I had calibrated it last fall, and the problem it had just popped up and was intermittent for a while scanning only the mid section of a drawing more and more often and then finally only scanning black seemingly starting when I tried to calibrate again for the 1st time since last fall.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

Now it seems like a phantom problem.
I installed all my old original parts, and erased parameter blocks after reinstalling each one, and the scanner appears fine.  My only thought is that originally MAYBE POSSIBLY I had a tentative cable connection.  (I did discover 2 bent pins for the camera C? socket on the old original main pca, but I think I may have bent those by rocking the connector when I last removed it.)  After disconnecting and reconnecting main pca and camera boards a few times, I THINK it is possible that a tentative cable connection was made a GOOD connection.  But I am not really sure.
I did get a diagnostic flashing red LED (wait LED - off, ready LED - off), and I got a 55-203 error again.  I assume because camera C's motor had run its length--hit a stop. It appeared to have bottomed out.  (earlier both arms had been sitting around 9:15--similar to a clock face)

I tried to center both vertical alignment adjustment arms in the center of their adjustment screws.  I then tried calibration and no more 55-203 so far.
Again I guess ALL my old original parts were OK after having been removed, replaced, and reinstalled.
I had calibrated it last fall, and the problem it had just popped up and was intermittent for a while scanning only the mid section of a drawing more and more often and then finally only scanning black seemingly starting when I tried to calibrate again for the 1st time since last fall.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.