Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP Desktop All-In-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After a windows update my computer won't print to my HP DesignJet 500PS42. When I go to installed printers it no longer show up that way, instead is says "HP Designjet 500PS42+HPGL2 Card". When i select that one as my printer is says "The document canot be printed" and "an error occurred while printing the document. I have tried updating the driver and it says that it already has the corect driver. I have uninstalled and reinstalled and still nothing. Any clues on what to do?

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

are you using the HPGL2 card or you using USB?

HP Recommended

I am having the same issue with my DesignJet 500 42 plugged into my network with a CAT6 network cable. My printer has a HP JetDirect 625N network card installed.

I have been printing fine for years from my Windows 10 Pro machine. Now, after the Windows Update 2 days ago, I can't get it to print. When I try to print a file using Adobe Acrobat DC, I get "The document could not be printed" and then "An error occurred while printing the document". When I try to print from Adobe InDesign 2020, the program just crashes.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue.  After windows updated to build 2004 my HP design Jet 500 stopped printing.  I can't revert back to a previous build as I had done a windows reset. (due to other windows issues!).  I'm using a single port print server over my CAT 6 network.  It's been working well for several years, but has now quit.  I tried re-installing the plotter as a local machine and the same thing, not plotting.  Hopefully either HP will fix the drivers for the plotter, or Microsoft will fix the issue with an update to windows 10.

HP Recommended

HP Designjet 500+HPGL-2 card driver has problem with Windows 10 x64.

Windows cannot communicate with the printer after some of the latest updates.

I have tried all available drivers (6.1 / 2006, 8.1 / 2013)

The HPGL-2 card is working properly.

The usb connection is working properly.

Please update the driver.

HP Recommended

USB

HP Recommended

https://youtu.be/CWARLO4RNhs

have you tried this yet, see if it helps you.

HP Recommended

SOLVED!!!

I just read the solution on a similar post about the "HP DesignJet 800 not printing" by a user named @CorvusTyto.

On my Windows 10 machine, I went to Windows Update, clicked on "View update history", found Windows Update KB4560960 and UNINSTALLED IT.  Then, I rebooted my computer as directed and walaaa... I could print to my HP DesignJet 500 42 again as normal!

Apparently, Microsoft is aware that there update caused this problem and they are working on a fix as shown in the "Known issues" section of https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4560960/windows-10-update-kb4560960

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.