Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP Designjet 4020

I have an HP Designjet 4020 that has rejected 2 yellow ink cartridges in a row with “replace yellow cartridge”--1 existing used, the other 1 NIB.   It's not in front of me, about 50 miles away.

I will try to pull all cartridges and insert 1 at a time and see what happens.   I will try to run service tests on systems/boards, etc.

I plan to 1st clean the internal contacts with alcohol, and file or sand the contacts.   Perhaps try another ink tubes pca to yellow cartridge cable.   Then perhaps try an old yellow cartridge I have on hand and see if it is "replace" as well.

(Not sure whether the 2 yellow ink cartridges' smart chips are permanently marked "replace" and therefore unusable, unless the chips are replaced.)

Beyond this I suspect it could be the ink tubes pca, printmech pca, or possibly air in the yellow ink tube.

Does anyone know what most likely and most often is the problem?

Thanks very much.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

FWIW, for the "replace faulty ink cartridge", I did the ol' "pull all ink cartridges, unplug for a few minutes, and restart" and that took care of it fortunately.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It did continue to reject one 3rd party yellow ink cartridge but did accept the second 3rd party yellow ink cartridge.  I went ahead and cleaned floater contacts (and cartridge contacts) and reseated its cable connector at the ink tubes pca. Thanks for your input.

There was no observable air in the yellow ink tube.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi

Nop I do believe their is some air in the tube , check the yellow ink tube if some air is in the ink tube  try to suck with a siring some yellow ink to check if their is air leakage in the ink tube   if yes you have a defective ink tube

HP Recommended

OK, thanks for your input.   I plan to check for air in the yellow ink tube as well as other tubes and as well as other things.   I will try to post back as to the remedy.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

FWIW, for the "replace faulty ink cartridge", I did the ol' "pull all ink cartridges, unplug for a few minutes, and restart" and that took care of it fortunately.  I was pleasantly surprised.  It did continue to reject one 3rd party yellow ink cartridge but did accept the second 3rd party yellow ink cartridge.  I went ahead and cleaned floater contacts (and cartridge contacts) and reseated its cable connector at the ink tubes pca. Thanks for your input.

There was no observable air in the yellow ink tube.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.