Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP DesignJet 500
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello!

I am a technician working for the United States Postal Service IT Department. I was recently assigned to work on an older HP Designjet 500 plotter printer we had at one of our sites. The Carriage Belt was shredded and I was asked to replace it. We have spares available, so I used one to repair the device, following the steps listed in the Service Manual I was able to track down on this device (in chapter 8).

Upon booting it back up, however, while it no longer displays the error message it was displaying before, now it won't work, saying that the user needs to "Close window to continue", and is otherwise unresponsive.

I've done what homework I can on this... the service manual doesn't mention anything about a window sensor, and there's only one other thread I could find related to this subject, which mentions a protrusion on the right hand side of the printer under the center cover that serves as a sensor to determine if the center cover is open or closed. However, I couldn't find any such protrusion. The center cover has two small plastic bits that go into holes on the frame of the device, but I can't find anything in either hole that would serve as a sensor that might be malfunctioning.

Any advice, guys?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

There should be an arm that mounts on the control panel. This arm is pushed down by the window and presses a contact switch on the back of the control panel. Easy to overlook this when reassembling.

Window sensor arm, Designjet 500Window sensor arm, Designjet 500

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

There should be an arm that mounts on the control panel. This arm is pushed down by the window and presses a contact switch on the back of the control panel. Easy to overlook this when reassembling.

Window sensor arm, Designjet 500Window sensor arm, Designjet 500

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

That's amazing! Thank you for the informative and swift answer!

That being said, to go there, I do have to drive a fairly long distance. So I want to ask, if this doesn't work, are there any other problems that could cause a similar response from the printer?

HP Recommended

It is possible that the switch on the control panel is bad but I have never seen that happen

HP Recommended

Repairatrooper, your info was right on the money! Thank you, because of you I was able to figure this out.

HP Recommended

Always like to hear about a happy ending!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.