Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP DesignJet 500 PS
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

Needed to replace Magenta Printhead 11, so we ordered one.

Received the printhead and the package noted the need for a firmware update.

Downloaded HP Firmware, unzipped but cannot install.

Install stops at locating the compatible printer via USB - it cannot find the printer.

I assume the problem is this printer didn't come with a USB cable, it came with the old printer port hook ups and we purchased an adaptor for USB connection to the PC, but the firmware still doesn't recognize the printer is directly connected.

Please advise how we can get the firmware updated or if we should contact HP to provide a printhead that doesn't require a firmware update?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Located a cord with the squarish end to USB and was able to install the update!  This is resolved. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Additional notes - I do not beleive the  HP-GL/2 Accessory Card is installed, as I could not locate an IP address to attempt one fo the work arounds.  Does anyone know if installing that could get my machine to do the firmware update without being connected to a PC?

Also - we tried putting the original printhead back in the plotter but still cannot get it to recognize a printehead, it is still asking for a replacement.   

HP Recommended

We managed to get it to accept the original faulty printhead and can atleast print in black ink only - which will work for now.

We are getting an expired printhead - that doesn't trigger the firmware update - for replacement soon, will update once we know if that works.

So, I think I need  a new cord to connect the plotter to the PC in order to proceed with updating the firmware - can anyone suggest what I need to buy?  I

HP Recommended

Located a cord with the squarish end to USB and was able to install the update!  This is resolved. 

HP Recommended

Hello - I am having the EXACT same issues you outline.  Where did you get the cord??   Will you please share the part number of the cord so I purchase the same item.

Thank You - Dana

HP Recommended

I was able to locate one that came with a different printer.  It looks a lot like the amazon one linked below, but the one used I was made by Belkin and the cord says E202074 Type CM Pro Series USB 2.0

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-USB-2-0-Cable-Male/dp/B00NH11KIK/ref=sr_1_4?hvadid=153655955902&...

HP Recommended

Thank you - I have the cord on order!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.