Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Q6721A
macOS 10.13 High Sierra

It started as a maintenence call.  I replaced the carriage belt and service station.  I followed the instruction in the svc manual.

I did vacuum dust bunnies from the formatter and paper path.  I also replace the carriage rear bushing.  Lubed the rail

and cleaned the encoder strip.

I have done this before a few times on other models, it seemed straight forward.  Put it back together and power it up

and got the code 79:04.  It will go into diagnostics.  I ran the service station check and it coded out with 79:04.

It gives the message to cycle the power and if that does not work to up grade the firmware.  Well I got the firmware

from the HP site but I am at a loss on how to install it if the machine does not clear the code.  I have tried the IP address

but only get a time out message.  It does have the USB port for the kinda square connector.  The one with the corners cut.

This is for the Salvation Army account that just called me.  Can anyone help?

CD

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi,

1copydude,

Is it possible you were shipped a faulty Service Station (wouldn't be the 1st time a DOA part was shipped).

If you got it from HP and that corrects it then you should be able to RMA the part.

Good Luck,

Roy K

HP Recommended

Roy,

I went back and re-installed the old svc station and got the same result, 79:04 code.

It fails the electronic modules test.  When powered up the display shows the scroll to 100%.

Then when it initializes it will code out.  I tried to go in through the IP address with no luck.

I does pass the sensor test.  I did run the svc test and it ended with the code 79:04.  The fan

on the service station did come on when I asked for the aerosol fan test.

I tried to find it on the customers computer and did not.  I plugged it into my laptop via the USB

and my laptop shows an icon but nothing inside if double clicked. 

What do you think Roy?

CD

HP Recommended

You say that it Fails the Electronics Module Test. I assume you are talking about the tests from the Diagnostics menu.

This would lead me to believe the issue is with the Main PCA or the Formatter or the Printmech. 

Pay attention to where, during the test, that the failure happens. This may lead you to the correct parts for replacement.

Does this printer have the 3 LED lights on the formatter (Marked   I  II  III  beside the RJ45 network connection point)?

If yes, what are they doing at the time of the failure (On, Off or Flashing) This can also help determine the cause.

Good Luck, 

Roy K 

HP Recommended

Roy,

On the formatter by the ether net connector the orange light is on steady and the yellow light flashes. Is it flashing a code?

I think there are only two light by that connector but I will have a closer look today.

Upon power up the display shows the HP logo and the scroll line below that goes to 100%.  Then the code appears.

Yes I am able to get into the diagnostic mode.  I ran the aerosol fan OK and the sensor test OK.

The service station, carriage and EMOD all end in the code.  All ran from the diagnostic menu.

There is no carriage movement or any sounds from the service station.  I did try and plug the old svc station in

and got the same result 79:04.  I will post from on site today.

It looks liike the flashing lite blinked 5 times then a pause then it repeats.  But I will have a closer look at that today also.

Someone suggested I unplug the ribbon cable from the printmech board.  What can I expect from doing that?  A different code? 

Thanks Roy

CD

HP Recommended

If you are getting the same error during the different Diagnostic tests, pay attention to when during the test this happens.

Make note of what is on the front panel when it happens. 

At this point I personally believe that you have a Main PCA issue since you can get to the diagnostics but can't complete any of them due to error. 

Just a thought though, have you tried booting the printer up with the network disconnected? have you tried booting it up with no inks, no printheads and no paper loaded?  

Roy K

HP Recommended

Roy,

Thank you for the advice.  I have booted the printer up without the inks and disconnected from the network.

And no paper.  I usually wait til it asks for those items.  Next I will remove the printheads.

Now that my tire has been repaired I may still have time today to see that machine.

Tha nks

CD

HP Recommended

Roy, today things were different.  I did what you mentioned.  I unplugged the prt mech bd & pwr'ed up.  I got a 22.1:10.  Pwr'd down and unplugged both prt mech bd ribbon cables.  Got a 1.1:10 code.  Pwr'ed down and reconnected prt mech bd and pwr'd up.  This time the carriage moved and the svc station came back to life.  Then it ask to have the paper path cleared when there

was no paper loaded.  It moved the carriage in and out of the service station and the svc station was working.  ( I ran the svc station diagnotic  and it passed.  Then it started the preparing printing system.  I could hear and see it doing stuff.  After the last step it asked for yellow ink and to have the two prt heads on the right replaced.  I replaced the ink with a new after market ink

and reseated the print heads.  No joy on the yellow ink, it is stuck on that one.  Put the old one back in and the same thing, it asked for the yellow ink to be replaced.  Tried to run the IDS diagnostic and it errored out on the bongo, error BPS2.

Ran the svc station diagnotic and it passed.  And it just passed the electronics modual diagnostic.

Restart and it give an 86:01 code and asks to have the paper path cleared when there was no paper loaded.

I will return to this tomorrow

Thanks for helping

CD

HP Recommended

Try swap the scan axis motor.

I encountered this type of error on my Z3100 44" , also Z3200 44"  & never be able to to ready mode. I got the error even without any paper loaded.

After motor replaced & all ok & I got prompt to install inks & printheads.

Not sure work on your problem or not, for reference only.

HP Recommended

Well, it started the same way asking to clear the paper path with the 86:01 code.  Cleared that, then it asked for ink, cleared that and went into service tools menu for users and asked for
Image Quality print Best.  It displayed printing but the carriage did not move.  Please wait was displayed on panel.  Pwr button on control panel did not work until I opened and closed the top
window.  Then it moved the carriage and gave the 86:01 code.  cycled the power and went into diagnostics.  Because it was still asking for the yellow ink. 
"check ink supply" test shows yes on all but the yellow.
"IDS" passed  Ran scan axis, Starwheel passed, PRS passed.  Ran scan axis part twice it passed most of it but error'd out with 87:11 and said length to short.  Book sez check and/or clean
encoder strip.  Used plane water on a lint free cloth and got these little black things off the encoder strip and I could see some dis-coloration on the strip.  Using a magnifying glass I could
see the little slashes for the sensor to count.  Not sure what to make of that.
Can anyone tell me what happened?  Did I clean it to much? 
powered up and the carriage moves smoothly no jerky motion like I saw on the one that had slashes missing.  This time it asked for language.  Got back into service tools for tech and told it
new service station and asked for the print again and it locked up again it ran the carriage down and pick up the cutter and tried to go into the svc station and bumped and stopped and
gave me the 86:01 code.
I think I need to replace the encoder strip?
And it still asks for the yellow ink to be replaced, it wasn't doing that when I started.

Thanks for helping

CD

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.