Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP Latex 570
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

HP Latex 570. Maintenance error message appears: "87:01 Clean the encoder strip as described in the use maintenance kit.
The message gives you the option to clean now or clean later.  I have cleaned, following the on screen directions.  When complete the message will not go away until I select clean later.

I have turned the machine on and off.  I turned machine off, unplugged for 20 minutes.  Message still comes up. If I select clean later, I can print without issue, but message comes up again.

I went into service menu, and selected the maintenance option through that menu, but that did not resolve the issue.

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Call technical support, maybe the encoder strip needs to be replaced if cleaning doesn't help ...

HP Recommended

I am sure if I call tech support the first thing they will insist on is replacing parts. But this code is not an error code as if the machine diagnosed that the encoder is bad, but the maintenance reminder.  Similar message comes up to oil the rail,  and continues to nag until you follow the steps and then it goes away.

This screen comes up when it is time to clean the encoder.  You follow the steps and then when you complete it goes away, or at least it should. It doesn't - at the end of the process it just remains.  There is no measuring or checking the encoder to see if it is good or bad, such as the Scitex series like the FB700 where you get an actual error because of incorrect encoder count. And if I ignore it, the printer prints fine... it is annoying that it appears after every single print or process that I run. 

It seems that my problem must be unique however, because the ONLY result I get for 
Encoder Strip" is an ad for a stupid keyboard.

HP Recommended

That's right, technicians usually change the part but most likely the encoder is either too dirty or has passed a large number of cycles. Have you changed SMK1, 2 or 3? Usually when approaching the replace time, then it starts behaving like this until this part is changed.. 🙂  The line sensor of our L570 gave various errors and behaved strangely as soon as SMK3 reached 100% ...

HP Recommended

I'm at 20%, 0%, 69% of SMK1,2 and 3 respectively.   Replacing the encoder strip is likely the best place to begin, the boss will be happy to have me spend more money on this thing LOL! 

HP Recommended

😁 Definitely you'll hear something about money, heart attack, expensive printer, only troubles and so on 😁 don't worry, good luck and cheers ☺️

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.