Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
DeskJet 3512
Other

I would like to be able to print from my phone.  I do not hook up to my home network because I have unlimited data and don't want to slow down my homenetwork with it.  My printer is visible to my phone but it wants a password.  From research Ive done, the password is my home network password.  However, when I enter it I get is message that the password is incorrect.  How can I find what the proper password is?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@RAHDentalMom

Greetings!

Welcome to the HP Support Community. This is a great place to get support, find answers and tips to your technical queries. I have reviewed your post and I understand you are looking for a password. 

Appreciate you trying the steps. Don't worry, I'm here to help! To better assist you - 

1) Is this about the Wi-Fi Direct? 
2) Can you send us a picture of the screen asking you to enter the password? 

While you respond to that, let's try these steps -

Step 1 Try the default password - 12345678. 

If the default password does not work, please print a Network Configuration page and look for a Wi-Fi or a Wireless Direct password.

Step 2  To print a Network Configuration page - From the printer control panel, press the Wireless button and the Information button together to print the network configuration page.

Hope this helps!

Let me know how that goes.

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day ahead 🙂

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have tried the default password of 12345678 and it did not work.  I printed the printer status report but was unable to print a network report.  The status report indicates there is not an admin password. 

HP Recommended

@RAHDentalMom

Hi there, thanks for getting back to us. Please try these steps to restore the printer's network -

1) Press the Wireless button to access the Wireless Status screen.
2) Press the Settings button to access the Wireless Settings menu.
3) Select Restore to Default.
4) Confirm selection to restore defaults.

If the router has a WPS push button, try these steps to connect the printer to the network -

1) Press and hold the Wireless button on the printer for more than three seconds to start WPS push mode. The Wireless light starts blinking.
2) Press the WPS button on your router.
NOTE: THE MOMENT YOU PRESS THE WIRELESS BUTTON ON YOUR PRINTER, WITHIN 30 SECONDS YOU SHOULD PRESS THE WPS BUTTON ON THE ROUTER.

If this step is not successful, then we need to first connect the printer to a computer using a USB and then convert the wired connection to wireless as the printer does not have a control panel to enter the Wi-Fi password. 

Please refer to this document - Changing from a USB to a Wireless Connection

Keep me posted. 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.