Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I just purchased a HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 a month ago. Sometimes before printing the printer just crashes and displays the following screen:

Error screen

After several resets and several minutes it works again.

I appreciate if somebody has a solution for this. Thanks.

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

@Alejandro1897

Welcome to the HP Forums. I would be happy to help you with your HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Printer. I understand that it crashes while printing and you have already done some preliminary troubleshooting.

I am sending you a private message with the steps to reset the printer. Please check the mailbox icon at the top-right corner of this screen.

Please check your Private message icon on the upper right corner of your HP Forums profile,

Next, to your profile Name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.

Please reply back on the public post as this Private message box is not monitored.

I hope this helps resolve this issue completely,

Regards,

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Hi Sandy,

Thanks for your answer, unfortunately the problem is still there. Do you have any other possible solution?
HP Recommended

@Alejandro1897

As you have already tried these steps and still having the issue, I would personally suggest you contact our HP phone support for further assistance. If your product is Out of warranty then remember to choose the paid options to get the tech support number.

They might have multiple options to help you on this.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended
Another thing that I just notice is that the printer crashes if we sent to print from a laptop using WiFi. If we use cellphone with the app or the printer's email it works just fine.
HP Recommended

@Alejandro1897

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

Update the firmware on the printer and check if the issue persists.

Click here and refer the document to update the firmware.

Let me know if that helps.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with my brandnew printer 😡 and nothig helps.

HP Recommended

Hi,

has anyone found a resolution to this issue yet?

Nev.

HP Recommended

I am also having this exact same issue.  Has there been any resolution or discovery of the cause?

HP Recommended
I have the same issue. The printer is 2 months old! What is the fix?
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.