Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

After recently having our WiFi network changed to a Guest network that is open with no password required (which takes you to an "I Accept" page when first connecting devices) and getting a new router, we have issues printing. The printer is constantly showing as Offline in "Printers & Scanners", HP Smart, and "Devices and Printers" in the Control Panel. Our IT is not responding to us, so we are trying everything we can ourselves.  I have spent several full work days troubleshooting and researching the issue. I am thinking it might have to do with the printer not interacting well with the "I Accept" page, or an issue with IP's/Printer Names/Locations. Below are lists of what I have done, as well as helpful info. PLEASE HELP ME!

Troubleshooting that I've done:

• The WiFi signal light on printer is on and not blinking
  • Router/WiFi is connected to laptop and running
  • Made sure that printer was set to default printer
  • Restarted Printer
  • Restarted Laptop
  • Went through all steps with HP Virtual Assistant
  • Tried to chat with an actual agent but couldn't since warranty is up (the page to connect to a live agent keeps taking me in circles)
  • Searched HP boards, Google, Youtube for solutions
  • Deleted and re-downloaded HP Smart and HP Print and Scan Doctor
  • Updated the drivers/hardware
  • Uninstalled/Reinstalled the printer (several times)
  • Made sure that Services had "Function Discovery Provider Host", "Function Discovery Resource Publication", "Print Spooler", "Remote Access Auto Connection Manager", Remote Access Connection Manager", Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service", and "Routing and Remote Access" were set to Automatic Startup and were Running
  • Made sure that "Use Printer Offline" was NOT checked in the printer queue 
  • Restore Network Settings on the printer (probably around 50 times at this point)
  • Tried to change things on the EWS "IP Configuration" and create a static IP, but cannot connect to EWS with URL, Host Name, or HP Smart. The URL will give me an error page or it will go to the "I Accept" page. I have been able to connect for literal seconds when first adding the printer to HP Smart a handful of times. During these times, I try to go change settings and get a message saying that it's a "Password Protected Feature" and to Sign In, but clicking Sign In does nothing(I'm assuming the printer goes Offline preventing this from working before I get to the page). I have been signed into it before and still gotten the same message. (See below)

EWS Password.PNG

• Ran HP Print and Scan Doctor (Results below)

PSD 2.PNGPSD 3.PNG

• HP Smart "Diagnose & Fix" which says "Diagnose & Fix could not find your printer" (Results below)

Diagnose and Fix.PNG

• Changed the automatic port setting from a WSD and created a new TCI/IP Port both by using the IP address and the Host Name

Ports.PNG

• Settings>Printers & Scanners>Manage>Run the Troubleshooter (Usually get the "Troubleshooting could not identify the problem", but got 2 errors only one time)

Settings Troubleshooter.PNGDevices Printers Troubleshooting Result.PNG

• Ping in Command Prompt 

Command Prompt.PNG

Other Helpful Info:

• We are located on a construction job site and wired into the clients existing site WiFi
  • "I Accept" page brought up when connecting new devices to unsecured network (Shown below)

I Agree.PNG

• Wireless Network Test Results (Below)

Wireless Network Test Results.PNG

• HP Smart "Printer Information" - (Can sometimes get online to show for a few seconds after "Restore Network Settings". Both online and offline results are below)

HP Smart Printer Info Loaded.PNG When printer is temporarily Online

• WiFi Properties

Wifi Settings.PNG

• Firewall Settings

Windows Firewall.PNG

• New router is an Aruba JL258A with an Aruba APEX0375 Outdoor Access Point - Set up is shown below

Outdoor Access Point.PNGRouter Set Up.jpgRouter Wiring Up Close.PNG

• Laptop is a Dell Latitude E5570
  • Cannot connect to printer via USB since our USB ports are blocked by corporate

Significant Things I Noticed:

1. Two different Printers with the same Model # are discoverable (L=Letter  #=Number):

1. (Host name HP##LLL).local.tld  with fe##::####:##LL:LL##:#LLL (Matches the WiFi Direct - IPv6 address below)
  2. HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 series PCL-3 (Network)  with  192.###.#.## (Doesn't match any other IPs beginning with 192)

PSD 1.PNG

2. Printer names/IP addresses/Printer Locations don't all match

1. Devices and Printers 

• Name:  HP(##LLLL).local.tld
  • Web Page: [fe##::####:##LL:LL##:#LLL%##]####/  (Brings to "hmm..can't find this page")
  • IP Address: fe##::####:##LL:LL##:#LLL%##

Control Panel General.PNGControl Panel Hardware.PNGControl Panel Web Services.PNG

Control Panel IP Link.PNG

2. HP Network Configuration Page (Images Below)

General Info

Wireless - IPv4

• IP Address(1): 192.###.#.###    (Matches General Info)
  • Default Gateway & Primary DNS Server: 192.###.#.# (Doesn't match URL/IP Address, but is similar)

Wireless - IPv6

• Address: fe##:#L##:##LL:LL##:LLLL

Wi-Fi Direct

WiFi Direct - IPv4

• IP Address: 192.###.###.#  (Same as WiFi Direct EWS. Different from General Info URL and Wireless - IPv4 IP Address)
  • Default Gateway & Primary DNS Server: 192.XXX.X.X (Matches Wireless - IPv4 Default Gateway & Primary DNS Server)

WiFi Direct - IPv6

• Address: fe##::####:##LL:LL##:#LLL (Same as Devices and Printers IP Address (without the %## at the end) and Printer 1 above)

Network Config 3.jpgNetwork Config Pg 1.jpgNetwork Config Pg 2.jpg

3. Printer Spooler shows "system32" when it is 64 bit  (See below)

Printer Server Properties Spool Folder.PNG

If you need any more information from me to help troubleshoot this issue, let me know. 

Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

The issue has finally been fixed with cooperation from our client's IT. 

The solution involved them creating an authentication bypass for the printer. After that, all the other's in the office were able to print, but I still wasn't. With a combination of the following, I was able to fix the issue:

• Copying all of the Printer Properties from the working computers and added the printer manually with those properties
  • Since I did a lot of things to try to get it to work in the first place, I looked up a list of the default "Services" settings and changed mine to match the defaults.
  • Then, I went back into "Services" and enabled/started/set to Automatic all of the following: Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication, Remote Access Auto Connection Manager, Remote Access Connection Manager, Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service and Routing and Remote Access
  • After this, I restarted the computer
  • Then re-added the printer,  and it finally worked

Hope this helps someone in the future!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

I am not sure you can actually accept that type of prompt when connecting a printer. You may need to get a private SSID created for the printer and connect to that without prompt. We have also had issues with some 5Ghz routers not connecting reliably and the fix there is to lock an SSID that is only the 2.4Ghz channel.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your quick reply!

Is getting a private SSID something that I can do, or would the client's company IT have to do it/give access to do it? 

If it is something I can try, can you explain to me how to? 

HP Recommended

The issue has finally been fixed with cooperation from our client's IT. 

The solution involved them creating an authentication bypass for the printer. After that, all the other's in the office were able to print, but I still wasn't. With a combination of the following, I was able to fix the issue:

• Copying all of the Printer Properties from the working computers and added the printer manually with those properties
  • Since I did a lot of things to try to get it to work in the first place, I looked up a list of the default "Services" settings and changed mine to match the defaults.
  • Then, I went back into "Services" and enabled/started/set to Automatic all of the following: Function Discovery Provider Host, Function Discovery Resource Publication, Remote Access Auto Connection Manager, Remote Access Connection Manager, Secure Socket Tunneling Protocol Service and Routing and Remote Access
  • After this, I restarted the computer
  • Then re-added the printer,  and it finally worked

Hope this helps someone in the future!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.