Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP Designjet 5000 Ps
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Good Morning,

I have a HP Designjet 5000 PS that was giving to me. It came with a cd containing drivers for the HP Designjet 5500 PS. the drivers were downloaded successfully. I have connected the printer cords to the computer via USB connection. I was told that the 5500 PS drivers was compatible for the 5000 PS printer. 

I understand that drivers for this model is no longer in existing. My 5000 PS printer is NOT connecting with the installed drivers for the 5500 PS. What can I do to resolve this issue??

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi,

The following steps might help you to resolve the unable to print issue.

1. Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.

2. Click Add a printer.
In the Add Printer wizard, click Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.

3. In the list of available printers, select the one you want to use, and then click Next. (If your computer is connected to a network, only printers listed in Active Directory for your domain are displayed in the list.)

4.If prompted, install the printer driver on your computer by clicking Install driver by pointing to the CD containing drivers for the HP Designjet 5500 PS.

5 Complete the additional steps in the wizard, and then click Finish.

Now you can start printing..

Happy Printing.

Click on the "Thumbs up"button on the bottom to say "Thanks"

Please mark the post that solves your problem as "Accepted Solution"
(Although I am employed by HP, I am speaking for myself and not for HP)

HP Recommended

You shouldn't have any trouble using the 5500 drivers for the 5000.  I've used the 5100 driver for a 60" 5000PS model printer and it worked just fine.  The 5500PS and the 5100PS drivers are the same and give better options than the 5000PS driver on the Printer setup menu page.

If you're taking the driver off the CD that might be some of the problem.  If you go to HP.com, click on the Support tab and it will prompt you through to get you to a driver for the 5500PS either 42" or 60".  But you'll want to look at the OS option on that page and instead of letting it select Windows 10 for you, you can specify Windows 7 (32 or 64 bit) and use that driver.  It works fine on Windows 10.  Just loaded that one on my Win 10 laptop a few days ago.   I would try using that instead of the CD that came with the printer.

Go ahead and download the driver.  Click on the file and unpack it (it comes as a zip file) on your desktop in a new folder labled HP Designjet 5500PS.  Then go to Add Printer and it will ask if you have a disk.  Click yes and when you get to the Browse page, point it to the folder where you've unpacked the zip file.  That should get you on your way.  It should give you a list of HP models to choose from.

If you're having trouble with connectivity you can purchase an ethernet cross over cable and connect the printer to you ethernet port on your computer and use the EWS (Electronic Web Service) feature which will let you submit jobs and track your usage and supplies.  Very handy.  But you have to use a cross over cable, not a regular ethernet cable.  Available on Amazon for about $6-10 depending on length you need.  Once you have the printer hooked to the computer you can take the ISP off the printer screen (under I/0 setup) and type that number into your web browser.  No WWW or anything, just the number.  It should show you the printer.  I know this works on Win 10 because I just hooked up my 5500PS to my laptop a few days back.

Sometimes those serial-to-USB cables don't work so this is another way to connect.  I've gone through 2-3 of those cables that didn't have the right chip in them.

Give it a try and let us know how it comes out.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.