Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet Z6100

I just recieved a design print Z6100 40in. I'm not very familar with the HP printers, I've operated a few large format printers but they were Rolands.  I'd love to get this one running but I can't get past a test print.  Once powered on I get "Printhead replacement incomplete message.  I"ve cleaned all the print head contacts and the carriage contacts.  Each time it cycles it tells me a different set of heads needs reseated.  This printer has not ran in at least 6 months.  I'm affraid it was just shut off and left.  everything looks to be in good working order.   Can anyone tell me some good steps to take to get started on starting this up.  I wan't to see if I can get a test print off before I invest in new heads.  

Also I can't get it to shut off using the control panel.  It sat all night trying to shut off but never did.  I have to use the main power switch in back.  

Any help would be useful..

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

When you turn the printer on, does it go through the initialization phase?  Does it give you an error message after it initializes?

I know there's a firmware update that's supposed to fix that problem.  Can you see what the firmware number is in the front panel?  If you shut it off using the switch on the rear and then reboot it, the front panel should be able to tell you the firmware.  Should be under the bottom button on the right.  I think it's a little printer symbol on the button.  Look under the "Printher information" screen.

Does it let you get into the "replace printhead" function on the front panel?  (Ink drop icon)  It might give you a message that says "that function is not available at this time" or something like that.  If that happens, shut the printer off using the back switch, open the cover on the right side below the control panel, pull the tray forward that has the maintanence cartridge gently but firmly toward you.  That will release the carriage so you can move it by hand towards the center of the printer.  (Printer MUST be off or it won't let you move anything.)  Then remove all the printheads.  Leave the carriage and tray where it is, close the carriage cover and latch and turn the printer back on and see if it asks for printheads.  It will go through the initialization process first, then let you know printheads are missing.

Easiest way to update the firmware is to hook the printer to a laptop with a cross over network cable.  Laptop needs to be hooked to the internet I think.  I know nothing about networking so can't help there.  I got mine hooked up but don't recall how I did it.  I DO know you have to have a cross over cable to make it work though.

Working on one right now at home that has similar issues.  Updating the firmware (avialable on the HP website) should help.

I don't work for HP....I just repair their printers.
HP Recommended
Thanks for all the great info. I’ll try these in the next couple of days.
HP Recommended

Forgot to mention, if you google Designjet Z6100ps you'll come across a full service manual online you can download.  

Let us know what you find on the problem.

HP Recommended

The printer does go through the initialization phase with no problems.

I was able to update the firmware (painfully) but is done.  

If I take out the printheads it does recognize missing printheads.  

Still, I have the Replace Printheads incomplete.  I cycle through the reseat process, close the carriage and it cycles telling me each time a different head or heads need replaced.  These heads are no longer in warranty and they verywell could be bad but I would think the printer should still recognize them or allow me to continue with a test print even though the printhead may be bad.  Am I wrong in thinking this?  I don't mind replacing all the heads but I'm not sure this is the problem.  As I mentioned in my first post, I cleaned all the contacts using the proper tool and whips provided in the kit.  

Any ideas on what to try next or am I stuck here until new heads are purchased?

Thankful for any information anyone can provide.  

HP Recommended

If it was my printer, I'd start by just replacing one printhead that is showing faulty and see it that one gets recognized.  It could be the printheads are bad.  Is it always the same printheads that show as faulty?  Do all of them, at some time or another, show as being bad?  Or is it always the same one(s)?  You might have some bad ribbon cables inside the carriage that need reseating.  Have you taken the cover off the carriage?

How long has the printer sat inactive?  It might not be giving any drops when the printers does the drop test before printing.  Or it could be intermittent.  If it's sat unused for a length of time, you might be best to replace the printheads.  Or at least try cleaning them.  Use a shallow bowl/cup, fill with water about the temp of coffee, and put a paper towel in the water on the bottom of the container, then set the printhead nozzles-down on the soaked paper towel.  Let it sit for a few minutes, then use a coffee filter to blot the printhead dry GENTLY.  You should see a couple lines of ink.  Reinstall and see if that helps.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the response. 

Here are some answers to some of your questions:

Every time I try and complete the replace printhead process a new set of print heads pop up.  It's basically all over the place.  

I did take taken the carriage cover off.  The ribbons seem to be connected properly.  

I'm really not sure how long the printer has been sitting inactive.  My guess is a while and probably not in a climate controled area.  Looks like it was just unplugged and pushed into storage.  

I'm guessing your are on track by saying the printheads are bad.  I'd like to try cleaning them as you noted so that will be my next step.  My goal is to at least get pasted this point so I can assess the rest of the machine before spending 1,000 dollars for printheads.  I will work on the heads over the next couple of day.  

Have  you ever taken the heads apart?  Again I'm assuming the heads are bad so I'm not worried about damaging them.  I just want to get passed this one point.  

HP Recommended

I've never taken one apart.  I know there are cleaning kits out there but they require you refill the printhead when finished so you'll be buying alot of ink in bulk supply.  Not sure it's worth it.

If you're not in a hurry to get this working (not on a deadline for printing material) you can usually pick up printheads on Ebay for less money.  But it may take some time to find the best deals.

Keep us updated on progress.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

I'm not sure if this was mentioned earlier.

Try removing all inks and PH's - also no media loaded.

Reboot printer with no consumables.

When initialized start putting back in - start with inks then Printheads - one at a time. 

This should point out which Printhead is giving you issues.

Good Luck,

Roy K

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.