Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide-Format Printer
Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite

I have the identical problem that karencpafla is experiencing.  I have already set up a custom paper size of 9 inches by 12 inches in my MacBook's page setup.  When I try to print with  9 x 12 paper (a common size in my music work), I get this error:

"Paper size mismatch. The paper size detected by the printer sensor does not match the paper size selected in software. If the paper loaded in the printer is the correct size, change the selected paper size in your software and re-send the print job. If the paper loaded in the printer is not the correct size, change paper and resend the print job."

I have already tried all of the recommendations mentioned in karencpafla's thread and in other threads on this same topic.  Nothing worked.  I just reinstalled my printer drivers (for the third time) and tried resetting the printer by unplugging it while it was idle.  Still no success.

In another thread ("cannot print on 9x12 paper from Acrobat"), the HP tech Rainbow 23 "resolved" the issue by saying the following:

"I understand that the issue still persists after following the steps provided in the previous interaction.

"This issue has occurred because the paper size that you want to print is ARCH A size. This paper size is only supported by high-end printers like HP Designjet and HP Plotters. "

That "solution" makes no sense.  For years, I printed on 9 x 12 paper using my HP OfficeJet Pro 7500A and never had a problem with that paper size.  When my 7500A died recently, an HP phone tech told me the 7500A is now obsolete and has been replaced by the 7740, which I then purchased.  Why would HP remove the ability to print on 9 x 12 paper from its OfficeJet Pro wide-format printer??

I am hoping there is a glitch with the printer driver or the firmware that can be corrected.  Can you please check into this as my music printing operation depends on being able to print on 9 x 12 paper.  If HP truly no longer has a solution for printing on 9 x 12 paper, I will need to return the printer and purchase another brand of printer that can.

Thank you for your help.  If karencpafla or any other user has resolved this issue, please chime in, thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I purchased another 7740 (on sale at Best Buy) in early August after receiving notification from HP of firmware and driver updates that corrected the Paper Mismatch problem. I updated the firmware and driver and can now print 9 x 12 paper. I have set drawer 2 as my default Letter 8 1/2 x 11 paper tray and use drawer 1 for my "Custom" drawer. Works great! Hope you have the same success.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hey There! @Jariel_Music, Welcome to HP forums!  

I understand you have issues printing 9x12 custom size from your printer.

Don't worry I'd like to help you out.

Did you make any changes to your printer?

Have you tried printing using a different brand paper?

Have you tried printing from a different application?

As you mentioned you have issues printing 9x12 custom size from your printer.

Try few steps recommended below and check if it helps.

1. Load the custom-size paper into the paper input tray.

2. Open the item you want to print.

3. Click File, and then select Page Setup.

4. In Paper Size, select Manage Custom Sizes.

The Custom Paper Sizes window displays.

Figure : Paper Size with Manage Custom Sizes selected

Paper Size with Manage Custom Sizes selected
  5. In the Custom Paper Sizes window, click the plus sign to create a new paper size, double-click the default untitled name, and then type a new name for the custom paper size.

note:

Use a different, unique name for the new custom paper size. Do not use an existing paper size name for any new custom paper size names because it overrides the existing preset. For example, if a custom paper size is named A4, then the existing A4 paper size is no longer available as a choice.

Figure : Paper Size Name

Paper Size Name
  6. In the Paper Size section, type the dimensions of the custom paper in the Width and Height text boxes, and then set the margins, if desired.

Figure : Paper Size and margins

1. Paper Size

2. Margins

7. Click OK.

8. In the Page Setup window, select the new custom paper size, and then click OK.

Figure : Example of the Page setup window with the custom paper size selected

Example of the Page setup window with the custom paper size selected
  9. Click File, and then select Print.

10. Change print settings, if desired, and then click OK or Print.

Refer this article to know more information about creating custom size paper from your MAC.

If the issue still persists try the steps recommended below.

• Click the Apple menu icon, and then click “System Preferences”.

• Click “Printers and Scanner” / “Print and Scan” or “Print and Fax”.

• Right-click the blank space in the Printers list, and then click “Reset printing system”.

• Click “Reset” in the confirmation window.

• Enter an administrator username and password, and then click “OK”.

• Wait until the printing system is reset and no devices show in the Printers list

• Restart your computer and then go back to System preferences – Printers and scanners.

• Click the “Add button” (+).

• Find, and then select the name of your printer from the printer list, and then click “Add” to add your printer. Do not select an HP Fax driver.

Click “Print Using...” or “Use”, and then select Secure AirPrint or AirPrint. Alternatively, you may select the name of your printer if available in that list.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this answers your query! 
Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Mr. Robot, thank you for your reply.

• Did I make changes to my printer?  No

• Did I try printing using a different brand of paper?  Yes... different brands and different paper weights (normal and thick)

• Did I try printing from a different application?  Yes... MS Excel, Preview and Acrobat Reader.

. . . I tried all these steps  before when I saw them listed in other people's posts on the same topic.  As before, nothing I tried today has solved the problem recognizing 9 x 12 paper.

Per your suggestion, I clicked on "Reset Printing System" in the System Preferences and then re-installed the 7740 printer.  Still no success.  My printer sees the 9 x 12 paper I have loaded into Tray 1 as some other size and and gives me the Paper Size Mismatch error message.

Question for you:  Have you or Rainbow 23 tried printing on 9 x 12 paper on an OfficeJet Pro 7740 printer in your location.  If yes, at least I would know that under the right circumstances, the printer can recognize 9 x 12 paper.

What would you like me to try next?

HP Recommended

@Jariel_Music, It's great to hear from you again.

I appriciate your efforts for writing back to us again.

As you mentioned the issue still persists after trying out the steps.

Reset the printing system and select AirPrint from the list and try printing again and check if it helps.

Make sure the paper you use to print is in good condition, is neatly stacked in the tray, and the paper path and tray are free from obstructions.

These steps apply to both Tray 1 and Tray 2.

1. Pull out the input tray.

2. Open the tray extension cover.

Figure : Opening the tray extension cover

Opening the tray extension cover
  3. Remove any paper from the input tray.

4. Remove any severely bent, wrinkled, or torn paper from the stack.

5. Check for obstructions inside the input tray. Make sure nothing blocks the paper from engaging with the rollers. Even small pieces of paper can cause paper feed issues.

6. Insert the stack of paper into the input tray.

Figure : Loading the paper

Loading the paper
  7. Make sure the stack of paper does not exceed the paper fill guide on the side of the tray.

Figure : Paper fill guide in the paper tray

Paper fill guide in the input tray
  8. Slide in the paper guides until they rest against the stack of paper.

9. Close the tray extender cover.

10. Insert the paper tray into the printer.

11. The printer control panel displays the paper size loaded.

• If the paper size loaded does not match the display, touch Modify, select your paper size and type and then touch Done.

• If the paper size is correct, touch OK.

Refer this article to further troubleshot out of paper issues on your printer.

If the issue still persists, please contact HP support for further assistance.

Link to contact HP.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

The printer is already set as AirPrint.

I examined the trays; there is no obstruction to the paper path.  In fact, the 9 x 12 paper feeds from paper tray 1 into the printer with no problem.  After it is drawn about 2 inches into the printer, the printer pauses for a few seconds, and then displays the Paper Size Mismatch error message.  When I press either Cancel or OK in response to that message, the 9 x 12 page is ejected from the printer.  Clearly it has no trouble moving through the printer.

It appears that the paper size sensor inside the printer is incorrectly reporting that the 9 x 12 paper is the wrong size, and it appears that there is no way for the user to override that sensor.

Please answer this question...  Have you -- or has any other Hewlett Packard tech -- successfully printed on an OfficeJet 7740 printer using 9 x 12 paper as a custom size??  I bet you would have the same problem I'm having.

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@Jariel_Music, Thanks again for writing back to us.

If you are selecting a custom size you should be able to print 9x12 from your printer.

Are you able to make a 9x12 copy from your printer?

As a last resort, I would suggest you try updating the full feature printer software and check if it helps.

Link to update the full feature printer software.

If the issue still persists, try performing a semi-full reset on your printer and check if it helps.

Since the steps to perform a semi-full reset is confidential, I will send you the steps in a private message.

Please watch your inbox for more information.

If the solution provided worked for you, please mark accepted solution for this post.

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

> Are you able to make a 9x12 copy from your printer?

No, the printer says that custom sizes are not allowed when copying.

> As a last resort, I would suggest you try updating the full feature printer software and check if it helps.

As I mentioned in my original post, I tried updating the printer software three times.  It did not help.

> If the issue still persists, try performing a semi-full reset on your printer and check if it helps.

I performed the semi-full reset on the printer.  That also did not help.  The printer still believes that the 9x12 paper in Tray 1 is a different size and gives me the Size Mismatch error.  It won't even give me the option to "Print Anyway"...

> If you are selecting a custom size you should be able to print 9x12 from your printer.

Yes, in theory I should.  But I would like to know if ANYONE has EVER successfully printed on 9x12 paper using the OfficeJet Pro 7740 printer.  The other two other 7740 users on this forum, gngsound and karencpafla, also were unable to print on 9 x 12 paper.  They were asked to try most of the same steps that I did, and never found a solution.

I ask you to be open to the possibility that there may be an error in the printer driver or the printer firmware that is causing the printer not to properly recognize 9x12 paper in the tray.  Please consider consulting with a HP software engineer.

Thank you for your assistance.

HP Recommended

@Jariel_Music, Thanks for your brief answer and your time.

I have escalated your concern to HP’s Support Team in your region to have it reviewed for available options if any.
You should be contacted within 4 business days (Excluding holidays & Weekends).

Response times may vary by region.
Please send a Private Message, if you aren’t contacted within 4-5 business days.

Regards

Mr.Robot

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Was this issue resolved? I purchased the HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 to print 9 x 12 pages also. Chatted with HP Tech for over two hours trying to resolve the Paper Mismatch error message. HP Tech finally concluded that it was not possible to print 9 x 12 paper. I returned the printer. If there is a solution, I would be willing to repurchase the printer. Please advise the status of this issue. Thanks!

HP Recommended

Apparently Mr. Robot is incapable of actually reading, since he is refusing to answer your question regarding whether anyone at support has been able to print on 9x12.  There are a lot of posts on this issue, so it's obviously a problem with the printer somewhere, but I've had no luck getting any real response.  One person gave me a support number to call, but it was an incorect number and no one ever called back.  Still sitting with a worthless printer.  Very disappointed with HP.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.