Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet T7100
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I have a client using both Plain Paper (36" x 300') and a 46Lb Heavyweight Coated Paper( 36" x 100'). 

Both are on 2" core. 

The 7100 does not have any issues loading both types of media from a fresh roll, but with the Heavyweight Coated it will stop working with a significant amount still remaining to be used. ( I would say approx. 1/3 of the roll by the looks of it)

When you try to reload the roll it will feed out through the front but then error out saying "cannot detect paper".

This happens only with the Heavyweight and happens on both available roll feed assemblies. No problems whatsoever with the Plain Paper.

I have not been to the clients yet and I am looking for ideas of what to look for when I do.

It has happened with about 6 rolls of this media and I suppose I should just blame the media and move on but I want to be sure.

Thanks for any input.

Roy Kuzmich

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi All,

The fix for this issue was replacing the Hub support and Adapters.

I assume because the rubber on the hubs wears and becomes slippery.

Roy

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended
Might want to read up on the OMAS, (Optical Media Advance Sensor).

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

To thank a Tech for a post click the thumbs up button under the post.

You can even click both buttons. . .
HP Recommended

Have now visited sight. 

The Heavyweight Coated works perfectly fine from a NEW roll.

The plain paper works fine all the time.

The partial roll of Heavyweigth Coated (appears to be approx. 1/3 remaining from a full roll) does not reach the Media sensor at the rear entry platen and so does not even reach the OMAS.

When the Media is loaded into the park position (the blue area) within the carousel the feed rollers in the back door do not engage the partial roll of Heavyweigth Coated, but they do engage and feed a new roll of Heavyweight Coated.

We are looking into the rolls with our Paper supplier but I still think it is odd that it will not feed or work only when it gets down to this certain amount of media and only with the Heavyweight Coated.

????????????????

Roy

HP Recommended
I checked the HP partner support site and found nothing.

Is an odd problem, so have you checked the firmware version?

If my post resolves your issue please click the accepted as solution button under it.

HP Recommended

It appears that a new FW was released on September 30, 2015.

DRG_3_05_00.7

The Printer currently has DRG_03_02_00.5

I don't see how this would help the feeding of paper through the back of the printer.

I was informed that our paper supplier may have changed the 46LB Heavyweight coated that they supply.

The problem only cropped up within the last 5 or 6 rolls. I t was working fine prior to this.

The 2" core was not loose within the roll. I know there is more curl on the media as you get closer to the core.

I will be contacting HP Directly on Monday to see what they might have to say.

I will also contact the client and have them install the new FW.

Cheers,

Roy

HP Recommended
Wrong, whenever you contact HP one of the first thing they say is have you upgraded the firmware?

I have not research the issue but often firmware fixes timing problems and it might be that it's detecting the jam just a little too early.

HP Recommended

Hi All,

The fix for this issue was replacing the Hub support and Adapters.

I assume because the rubber on the hubs wears and becomes slippery.

Roy

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.