Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Get help with Large Format Printers, with direct access to all Large Format Knowledge Center· Ask anything · Find anything · Share anything at HP LKC
HP Recommended
Designjet T830
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Printing a large image from the USB device, on 24" roll paper.  Image should have been about 72"  long and 15" wide.  Printed fine, then suddenly stopped after printing 35", advanced paper to 72", waited for ink to dry, and cut paper.  I changed scaling, attempting the same image, but should have been about 48" long and 10" wide.  Printed fine, then suddenly stopped after printing 35", advanced paper to 48", waited for ink to dry, and cut paper.  It had printed a greater portion of the image, but stopped at exactly the same point physically (35" into the job).

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello @fcruger.

Have you tried printing the same file from a pc or have you tried a different file?

Thank you.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

Yes, the image printed completely from the PC (using the USB stick as the image source).  I didn’t have an opportunity to try again using only the USB stick.  These are the first images printed using roll paper on this new T830.

(retired HP/Agilent/Keysight employee)

HP Recommended

Hello @fcruger 

If the jobs are printing fine from the pc means that something is happening with the usb print option in the printer itself and unfortunately it doesn't provide too much settings to apply, I will suggest you calling HP support if this is a new printer and is still under warranty so an agent will be able to assist you and figure out why from the usb port this is happening or print from the pc directly using the driver that allows you selecting more settings.

Best regards.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

I did go back and attempt to print directly from the USB stick, using a different image . . . and it again printed quite well right up to the 35" mark, quit printing, advanced the paper, and cut (right where the image should have ended).  The images are quite large (Of course!  That's why we're using a 24" printer with roll paper!), and I'm beginning to suspect a printer memory issue.  I tried several other large images (about 25MB) and got a message that the printer couldn't open the folder.  The one that printed from the PC was about 18MB, but printed only to the 35" point when attempted straight from the USB stick.   I'm going to attempt again with an image less than 10MB, but scaled to print over 35" long, to see if "file size" is a critical factor.  I just find it strange that it stops printing at the same physical length (regardless of image or scale), but continues successfully to advance the paper to the proper length, and cut.

HP Recommended

Hi @fcruger .

It is possible that the printer is not handling your image files and I think that they are complex, the fact that the printer is designed for technical drawings and lines makes me think that even that it comes with 1 gb of memory it doesn't have a hard disk to process very large files, and the point that doesn't continue printing in the same spot is telling me that most likely is running out of memory. I hope you can find a way to print your files without having this issue.

Best Regards.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

I thought it might be a memory issue, but then I realized that it doesn't stop at the same point in the image file - it stops at 35" - depending on the scaling and size of the image, that can be anywhere in the image.  I've tried several different images, and if they are scaled to print longer than 35", the same thing happens . . . prints fine up to 35", then advances to where the end of the picture should be, and cuts.  Sometimes it's half the image, sometimes 95% of the image, but always stops at 35"!  I did talk to HP Support and they escalated the issue  - I've not hear back yet (last message Dec 16th.

I love the printer/scanner, however.  It's just an annoyance that it can't print longer images from the USB stick - it prints the longer images fine when done from the PC.

HP Recommended

Hello @fcruger 

If you escalated the issue and you have an opened case, I will suggest you contacting HP support back to get an update because they haven't contact you since several days now, I guess the delay is due to the Holidays however somebody should be available to help you with an update.

Regards.

I am an HP employee
HP Recommended

From USB, at the front panel, the file has to be a TIFF or JPEG.  Just wanted to verify that this was not a PDF file on the USB stick.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.